BC Boards

new trainer, don't feed from a bowl advice ?

I've been given similar hand-outs at our puppy classes, suggestions such as Kongs and snuffle mats and using part of their daily food rations as training treats. I don't think that article is suggesting that everyone stops using a food bowl for their dog. Probably wouldn't be appropriate for older dogs who are content with their usual routine or working dogs, I expect the article is used as a hand-out for people looking for new ideas. The danger comes I suppose when people feel they have to rigidly follow the most recent thing they've heard/read. Or get offended because the information doesn't apply to them.

11 hours ago, brihop said:

So far he seems to enjoy getting his food from various sources but was a little confused at first. I guess the most important thing is to keep my dogs welfare and happiness as my first concern and the bonding and good behaviour will follow.

I can't remember how old your puppy is, I've got a feeling he's younger than mine. I certainly noticed that bonding and aiming to please was something that developed over time rather than a quick instant thing. Our boy was certainly far too self obsessed to care about what anyone else wanted when he was younger :lol:

We do both. 

Breakfast is from the bowl and I have trained Merlin to come and sit by me after I have put his bowl down and he has a wee bit of training. He’s normally very focused on the bowl so it’s great to do a quick bit of ‘leave it and ‘watch me’ training.  

Lunch is split into two kongs - one after morning walk and second after afternoon training. 

Supper is straightforward from the bowl after which he takes his long nap while we have supper and watch some quiet tv. 

But this is for our pup in our house. I think do what’s right for you but sometimes a dog just wants to eat in peace and why the heck not :)