BC Boards

Separation anxiety...mine!

First I have to apologize for my characteristic typos, elisions and homonymic errors in my posts. I am usually typing without my glasses. Those 'things' are usually down one to three flights of stairs from the computer.

Second, I have to be away on two five day trips over the next five weeks. This one coming up will be on Meg's six month birthday. And I'm going to miss a full week of her boot camp.

I keep acting like its nothing to me after all she's a 'dog'. This is so unlike me, but I feel like I'm leaving my child again and it feels lousy.

Please someone tell me she won't hold it against me.

Dogs are amazing creatures - when you come back it's a party, if you've been gone for 30 minutes or 30 days - or, in my case, 4 months. Oreo doesn't get too excited when people come home... she generally just grabs a toy and runs around with it for a little bit. I spent 3 years travelling back and forth between my parents and my now-husband's - a VERY long distance. I would be gone all summer, for 4 months at a time. And you know? When I walked in that door she greeted me exactly the same way - with a tail wag and then running to get a toy.

But trust me, I know how you feel!! We're planning our first trip to my parents' since the wedding, having to leave both dogs - I'm planning on being away for two weeks, and it's just going to kill me!! I'm already having anxiety attacks over it, worrying about my little girl. It's a mom thing...

I'm in that club too! I usually go every other year to backpack in Alaska and visit my Brother in Fairbanks. This is my year to go. I have already said... well instead of going in June, as usual, maybe I will wait and go in September or try a winter trip! HUH! I know it ain't gonna happen, this year... hmmmm, maybe next year when Phoenix is a little "older", he will be....... what???? more ok! with me leaving??? or will I be more ok??? I guess I can use the gas prices as an excuse (actually that's a good one, makes me feel more, "normal", what ever that is).

Sometimes, I wish I could be one of those people who say, "he's just a dog".

BUT! oh well...

I get frustrated with myself, because I or hubby and I, won't do alot of "things", that we would be doing if we weren't owned, by dogs!!!!!

Sooooooo, if anyone has a mirical "cure", bring it on!, because if I can't include my dog(s)... it ain't gettin done and we ain't goin!

Thanks for the support.

"Riverdog" our training facility offers a daycare/train option. We leave her in the morning, pick her and her report card up at night with a bit of training for us, work with her in the evening and repeat. One evening a week we go in for a training class ourselves. This goes on for three weeks. She's guaranteed to pass and receives free refresher training for the rest of her life afterward.

This is going to be an intermediate level class for her. After this, we'll spay her and then have about two-four months to work on pre-sports and SAR training before we evaluate her bones for agility, her heart for sheep, her ability to stay focused for flyball, and her fondess for frisbees.

Right now Meg thinks her job is to exercise a rope/cordura ring disc, and she has only our laziness standing in her way.