BC Boards

Desensitizing to other dogs barking.

Our boy will bark if he hears a dog barking, either on the TV or outside.

I've started playing a dog barking YouTube video very quietly for just a few minutes at a time while keeping him busy with tricks and he's okay for a short time if I keep him busy but if the tricks don't come quick enough then he will bounce around and bark.

Has anyone had any success teaching their dogs not to get excited and bark if they hear another dog barking? And is there anything else I can do additionally or instead?

It didn't feel like a thing that I needed or expected quick success with, but tonight there's a barking dog outside. Hopefully it's just visiting for one night only because I can't spend every evening doing non-stop tricks.

I have the same problem with my 7 month old. It doesn't even have to be a real dog lol a cartoon on tv will do as long as the sound is right. I am simply asking for quiet every time he barks and if he persists its a short time out in his cage. At times you can see the struggle on his face not to bark. Hopefully time and persistence will pay off.

Good luck,

Brian

Get the book "Control Unleashed". There is a training protocol in there called "The Look At That Game", which will be effective in this situation. I know it works, because I have a friend who had three Very Barky Shelties, and it worked a charm on them. It is a great training technique. If you don't want to buy the book, your library may have it but I recommend owning it because it's got a lot of good ideas in it.

We taught our dogs not to bark by telling them "that'll do" in a calm voice and if they persist send them to their place or ask them to lie down next to us. After a while they know we don't want them to bark when they hear another dog (or something else we don't want them to bark at).