BC Boards

Advice on moving?

Hi Everyone, 

So Ellie has been doing so well in all of her trainings and we haven't had any huge reactive outburst lately, but I am moving out of my apartment complex soon for a lot of different reasons. I was hoping to find a rental house with a back yard but nothing is available with in my budget, so it is looking like we are going to end up in another apartment complex. 

Any tips, tricks, advice on how to make the moving process easier on her? 

Keep her schedule and activities as consistent as possible. Make sure her blanket/bed and a favorite toy, along w/favorite treats, are one of the first things to unpack. If you can get in to your new place before the actual move, take some clothing you've worn or bedding you've slept in to leave there for a night or 2, so that it starts to smell a bit like you.

The most important thing, I believe, is to stay as ho-hum, life as usual as you can about it. Dogs pick up on stress, and it will be better for both of you if you manage to stay low key.

Best of luck with the move!

Ruth & Gibbs

My husband and I recently moved.  Ted adjusted very well and didn't seem to bat an eye as to his new surroundings.  We tried to take him with us anytime we went somewhere at first until he got used to things.  Personally, I think you will be surprised as to how quickly they adapt.  As long as they know you are there with them for the move, they will be just fine.  

17 hours ago, Bordercentrics said:

Besides what you have already been told, one thing we always did was take the dogs with us on each trip to the new place, so they know you aren't leaving them behind!  Good luck.

This is not a bad idea. Hannah has moved with me twice, and each time I sensed that it was stressful for her to be left behind during trips to move boxes, etc. from the old place as it became increasingly empty. I took her along where feasible.

I also sensed some anxiety the first time I had to leave her at the new ‘strange’ place, so I set up her crate with its familiar bedding and smells, first thing. 

It couldn’t hurt to have your pup accompany you back and forth, at least a few times, if you’re moving piecemeal.

Another benefit to having her safely crated is it can keep her from bolting outdoors when you have the door held open to bring in furniture. Just make sure it is securely latched. It might even be helpful if she is crated in the bedroom if the activity at the front door would stress her. 

Best wishes for a low-stress move!

Agree with everything said here. If you can’t access the new apartment before moving day, take her over to the neighborhood several times for walks so it starts to become familiar to her. Also, if you have a trusted friend or relative or favorite kennel that can keep her the day of the move, that will lower the stress on both of you. 

Thanks everyone! 

I have been taking her over to the new area there is a nice park over there, which is quite  busy but she does super well there cause we are able to keep some distance and leash law is super enforced so no random dogs running up!

I am thinking due to her reactiveness I might put her in with her doggie daycare people those days of actually move just to help her run out some extra energy before coming to a new place. They work with me and keep her in a small group training style pay group and she loves them :)