BC Boards

Winter Swim

20 minutes ago, GentleLake said:

I'd be concerned that if he's ingesting enough water that he throws it up that he's putting himself at risk.

This is where it's up to you to make sure he's safe if he doesn't have the sense to do it himself. I'd put a stop to it before he gets to that point. Don't let him snap at the water. It's a bad and potentially dangerous habit.

I fully agree and it does concern me when he throws water up (which is rare).  I am not sure how to keep him from snapping at the water.  He runs as fast as he can to keep ahead of the waves as they come in.  Then he will turn and snap at the wave when it breaks.  My thoughts are that maybe we can give him shorter, more frequent trips to the beach rather than something 15-20 minutes long.  He loves it so much but I don't want to harm him 

8 minutes ago, Brins123 said:

I am not sure how to keep him from snapping at the water.

Correct him when he does it. If he won't heed verbal corrections, put him on a long line and correct him when does it until he'll listen to your verbal corrections. It's a bad habit, possibly obsessive, that you should put an end to.

It may take a while because you've already allowed this self rewarding habit to develop, but with patience and consistency you can stop it.

I live within an hour's easy drive of the ocean. I took Gibbs to the beach exactly 2x. It turns out he's a bit OCD about moving water. He wants to take a sip of every creek, rivulet, gutter and ocean wave he sees.

No more beach for him because I kept having to yell at him. I keep him on a leash when walking by any flowing water or he'll be sipping from it. Be vigilant about correcting him when he bites at the waves, and you might head that off.

Ruth & Gibbs