BC Boards

Working Merles

I was just thinking the other day as I was reading something here in the Boards mentioning the prejudice against working merles that in Wales there were still working merle border collies about 30 years ago and wondering if that was still the case today.

This pic shared from the Welsh Sheepdog Society - South Wales & Borders Branch by the International Sheep Dog Society's FB page confirms that there are. :)

image.thumb.png.b3064a70084f36c10a6233bdd9a7da2c.png

Ryan Addison with Penygarreg Silver, winners of the Bonnie trophy 2018. Lovely to see.

• 3 months later...

Just in case I'd had any doubts there were still working merles in Wales today, this NBC.com article confirms it.

Don't think the screen grab's gonna post, but when looking thru NBC.com this morning I saw this article about Brexit with a pic of a working merle in the video pic. (https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/brexit-referendum/brexit-road-trip-what-do-brits-think-about-divorcing-e-n964456). If anyone's interested. the segment interviewing Welsh farmer William Jenkins in Blaenau Gwent in south Wales begins around 3:09 and includes his 2 working collies, one of whom's a merle.

• 3 months later...