BC Boards

New member/New Puppy

Hi Everyone! 

First post, new member here. I have been stalking this site since I first met Lexie (my new BC mix puppy) and I have learned so much! A little bit about how I got here. My pup passed away 6 months ago from kidney failure, it was by far the hardest time of my life. Its still not easy but time will help. I volunteer at my local animal shelter and decided to become a foster after Benjie passed away (Pomeranian). It helped to fill the void of his absence. About 2 months ago we had a litter of 8 Border Collie mix puppies transferred in and they needed fosters for 10 days. I jumped up for the challenge, I was the lucky one that got the dog with poop all over lol. The first 3 nights were so hard and I couldn't wait to take her back but then something happened. She stole my heart with her silly ways and brains. She adapted by the 5th day and things started to turn around, she listened and followed command. I told myself, I can definitely do this. Not to mention how much this site helped me make the decision as well. I got a lot of great reading here that inspired me. I always had small dogs so a big dog is new to me but I have been wanting a larger dog. Anyway, I caved and adopted her, meet Lexie! She is now 14 weeks weighing 16 pounds. 

Some of the questions I have are about her breed. I know her mom is a BC but no idea about her dad. Everyone usually thinks german shepherd but what do you guys think? I ordered a DNA test so hopefully, soon we will know more! So excited! Which brings me to my next question, her weight. Does anyone have any expertise in estimating adult dog weight? Attached are some pics, please I'm interested to read what breed you guys think she is mixed with or how big you think she will get :)

lexie.jpg

lexie4.jpg

lexie5.jpg

She is a cutie. Hard to guess on the breed, but her brown colors do not look like German Shepherd to me. My first guess is maybe Rottweiler based on the bottom of her legs but again it's a crapshoot to make such guesses. 16 lbs seems pretty large at her age, but there is no set pace at which dogs will grow so once again such guesses are really just a crapshoot, especially not knowing the breed. Congrats and good luck with your beautiful pup, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun together.

1 hour ago, Rush Fan said:

She is a cutie. Hard to guess on the breed, but her brown colors do not look like German Shepherd to me. My first guess is maybe Rottweiler based on the bottom of her legs but again it's a crapshoot to make such guesses. 16 lbs seems pretty large at her age, but there is no set pace at which dogs will grow so once again such guesses are really just a crapshoot, especially not knowing the breed. Congrats and good luck with your beautiful pup, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun together.

Thank you for your feedback! Yea, I heard Rottweiler as well. Very true,  I have heard suggestions that she will be a large dog. Its exciting, cant wait to see her all grown up. 

She is adorable!  You really can't tell this soon what the mix might be.  As a shelter volunteer, I see breed id's based on color all the time - all black & white dogs are BC mixes.  All brindle dogs are Pit mixes.  All black and tan dogs are Rottie  mixes.  Well, ya know, Yorkies are also black and tan!!!  All merles are Aussie mixes.....and on and on.  Let us know what the DNA test tells you.  

Kathy Robbins

Welcome to the Boards, and congratulations on the adorable new pup.

No way whatsoever to know for sure what her mix is at this young age. She'll be over 6 months old old till the physical characteristics of her parentage begin to assert themselves. And without at least a pretty good idea of parentage, you can't do much more than guess at adult size, especially with breeds like border collies being so variable.

Markings don't necessarily scream Rottie to me. Sure, they're black & tan, but so are several other breeds. AFAIK short coat is dominant and while there are coated Rotties, they're pretty rare and it would be pretty unlikely to randomly crop up on a 50/50 Rottie/border collie pup mix pup. English shepherds are rough coated and come in black & tan. ESes and ES mixes are often confused with border collie or bc mixes, especially among people like shelter personnel who aren't very familiar with them. How sure are you that the mum is border collie or even a bc mix, which would make IDing parentage even harder.

See how complicated this guessing game can be?

I dunno if DNA tests have gotten better over the past few years, but they have been known in the not too distant past to be pretty unreliable. You may want to do some research, including searching here, before putting too much faith in the results.

Kind of a long winded way of saying don't worry too much about exactly what she is. Instead love and value her for the unique and lovely dog she is. ;)

On 10/5/2018 at 8:30 PM, Bordercentrics said:

She is adorable!  You really can't tell this soon what the mix might be.  As a shelter volunteer, I see breed id's based on color all the time - all black & white dogs are BC mixes.  All brindle dogs are Pit mixes.  All black and tan dogs are Rottie  mixes.  Well, ya know, Yorkies are also black and tan!!!  All merles are Aussie mixes.....and on and on.  Let us know what the DNA test tells you.  

Kathy Robbins

Thank you Kathy! I will be conducting the test today, hopefully we will know in a couple of weeks!

On 10/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, GentleLake said:

Welcome to the Boards, and congratulations on the adorable new pup.

No way whatsoever to know for sure what her mix is at this young age. She'll be over 6 months old old till the physical characteristics of her parentage begin to assert themselves. And without at least a pretty good idea of parentage, you can't do much more than guess at adult size, especially with breeds like border collies being so variable.

Markings don't necessarily scream Rottie to me. Sure, they're black & tan, but so are several other breeds. AFAIK short coat is dominant and while there are coated Rotties, they're pretty rare and it would be pretty unlikely to randomly crop up on a 50/50 Rottie/border collie pup mix pup. English shepherds are rough coated and come in black & tan. ESes and ES mixes are often confused with border collie or bc mixes, especially among people like shelter personnel who aren't very familiar with them. How sure are you that the mum is border collie or even a bc mix, which would make IDing parentage even harder.

See how complicated this guessing game can be?

I dunno if DNA tests have gotten better over the past few years, but they have been known in the not too distant past to be pretty unreliable. You may want to do some research, including searching here, before putting too much faith in the results.

Kind of a long winded way of saying don't worry too much about exactly what she is. Instead love and value her for the unique and lovely dog she is. ;)

Thank you! Yes, I love her with all my heart. Blame it on my curiosity for wanting to know a bit from her past LOL Youre right, her mom may be BC mix. Ill give it a try and see what results come back! Thank you for your feedback!