BC Boards

Worried

chad

I've just discovered a lump on Bonnie's chest. It's small, about the diameter of a dime, and maybe 1/8' - 3/16" high. Hard to tell because her fur is so thick, but I don't think there's any discoloration. The mass is very hard and seems not to be tender at all. Bonnie's energy level, appetite, & general demeanor seem unchanged.

Anybody know what this might be other than what I'm afraid of, which is a tumor?

[This message has been edited by chad (edited 08-17-2002).]

Guest PrairieFire

Simply could be a cyst of some sort. I've had a dog get a sebaceous cyst - pretty much, I think, just a clogged pore...?

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal, but it was smaller than a dime.

Go to the vet. It could be many things other than a tumor, Chad.

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Hi Chad,

Most of my dogs have had lumps at one time or another - cysts, fatty doposits, absesses, warts, scar tissue, benign tumors we've experienced them all - and none have been malignant. Sometimes your vet can make a diagnosis just by looking but many times they'll either aspirate the lump (easy) or surgically remove it. I would have the lump checked out, but because there are a lot of causes of bumps I wouldn't kill yourself worrying until you get a diagnosis.

Good luck!

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm

http://www.blackdogfarm.com

Chad ? the good news is you found the lump. One question my vet taught me ? is the lump on a nipple or the nipple line (not always easy to tell in a BC) ? obviously if it is, it makes it a bit more likely that it might be a tumour ? but at that small size, likely to be easily removed. It is scary stuff, but my old girl had a mammary tumour removed and no recurrence, and a friend?s dog likewise. As Bill says, chances are it?s something else ? my dogs had several warts which just needed watching - but either way, get to the vet, and be glad you found whatever it is while it?s still little. Good luck - and keep us posted.

------------------

Barb

Thanks again, all! Barb, this is actually higher up on her chest and I don't think nipples are involved at all. (Lord, the jokes I could make here...)

While we're on the topic of my dog's undercarriage - she has a tattoo on her belly, the "female" symbol with an X thru the circle part, presumably to indicate that she's spayed. She had it when I adopted her at age 1.5 years. Just out of curiosity, has anybody else ever seen this?

Haven't seen that tatoo.

But back in 1973, when my husband had a vasectomy, I made him a linen tie with the male symbol with a little break in the circle. He wore it to IBM - but, of course, he was a tech writer and seldom was seen by customers.

I had a T-shirt with the male and female symbols intertwined with a pacifier. Above them, it said "Love Carefully".

The location of the lump sounds like good news, Chad. If it?s not a lump that needs anything doing now, it?ll probably go on a ?lump watch? ? to be checked periodically ? as they got older, my dogs both ended up with about 3 or 4 different kinds of lump on the ?watch?.

In Oz ? or at least in my part of it, the vets routinely put that spay tattoo inside the dog?s ear flap ? sure makes it a lot easier to see in a BC than on the belly!

------------------

Barb