BC Boards

Puppy toys

My 13 week old Belle is going through toys like theres no tomorrow and attempting to destroy our older boys toys too.

Any suggestions for good toys that are somewhat durable and obviously safe for her to chew on? Alfie has his own Kong which he loves but will that be too tough on her teeth?

2 hours ago, Miss Vixen said:

I''ll probably probably buy another kong then for her. She gets the treats out so quickly though, not much of a boredom breaker :lol:  

Just a heads up for down the road when Belle gets her adult teeth in, you'll have to keep an eye on her with her Kongs. I thought they were pretty much indestructible, but just a few weeks ago, Mancer (18 months old now) ate the top rung off of a medium sized red Kong. Luckily it didn't cause a blockage, but I've now learned that I can't let her have her Kongs unsupervised. 

3 hours ago, Miss Vixen said:

I''ll probably probably buy another kong then for her. She gets the treats out so quickly though, not much of a boredom breaker :lol:  

Is it the sort you can stuff and freeze? Our puppy has his lunch out of his, but it is softened and frozen so keeps him busy for a good half an hour and then he's usually ready for a sleep. He's been having one a day for the last three months and it is still his favourite thing ever.

Kong also makes a black Kong that's much tougher to destroy.

A word of warning about the red Kongs: I've been told they don't show up on X-rays, so if you have a destructive chewer, I'd definitely recommend switching to the "extreme" black ones.

Also to the OP, there are a number of tougher rubber toys on the market. Kong makes more than the classic Kong. Bones, discs, balls, rope toys, etc. Many of them come in the extreme versions. Some of the Wubba's have a tough canvas like fabric. 

My dogs immediately de-stuff plush toys, so they rarely get them. But there are lots of more durable toys on the market, and even some plush toys are supposed to be more tear resistant than others. Go to a big pet store like PetSmart or Petco and look around.

Thumbs up to the soaking/stuffing/freezing a black kong. You might get a few, do some soaking/stuffing/popping in the freezer so there's always one available. 

There's also a company called WestPaw that makes several toys that seem  to be tougher. I've got a couple  ZogoFlexs by them that my older guy really likes. They make several throwing toys that seem sturdier, too. I got mine off Amazon, but I've seen them in pet stores.

Ruth & Gibbs

Thanks guys. She's got the pink puppy kong and the red one I have which has lasted 6 years so far belongs to my male but he's not a destructive chewer thankfully. There's also a puppy teething ring which we've put in the fridge for her.

I'll have a look at the wubba's and zogoflexs now.

Agree with using the Black Kongs. Buy several of them - I have 4 or 5. Stuff about 1/2 full and freeze. I usually have several in the freezer at one time.

I also like West Paw items, but have not used them as much. What I have used has been sturdy.

Firehose 'indestructible' toys are not.

To the extreme - a friend with Rottweilers that loved to chew would buy toys used for the bears, etc. in a zoo. I have not yet had to go to that level.

AND, my dog(s) get half their meals in their bowls, which allows for medicine and supplements that I give, and the other half, (soaked kibble frozen in toy) in a toy of some kind. 

I've also taught Gibbs to find the toy and then bring it to his dog blanket in the living room before he chows down. I hide the toy and it's another few minutes of fun for him.

Ruth & Gibbs

Kong makes plushies, too, and those haven't been ripped apart for us, yet. For the other plushie toys, I just take ripping apart as part of the fun. We use a toy delivery service, and she gets three a month. They start to pile up, so with a collection, she rarely spends too much time with any single one of them to disintegrate it completely. I mean, she DOES rip them apart (there's a carcass right at my feet right now in fact) but she still likes them when they're just shredded fabric as well. Sometimes she even likes them better this way. I just throw away the stuffing when this happens, and put the plushie skin back in the toy bin. Some toys (like the kong plushies) come with rope instead of stuffing inside, and they're less of a mess. Also, I keep her with a good stock of chewy sticks (I second the Yak suggestion--my pup really likes those) so that when she wants to really gnaw on something, she has that. Mostly she throws the plushies to herself to play with the sounds in them...squeaking, crackling, etc. and when she wants to chew, she gets a chewy stick.

My dog never really liked "kong" kongs. :wacko: Stuffed or otherwise. We tried a bunch of sizes, but they're just not her thing.