BC Boards

The art of reading sheep

Maja

1 hour ago, Smalahundur said:

I prefer to train in private now....:)

Sure, you stock-savvy folks can hide your humiliation. We inexperienced folks don't have that option. Our humiliation must be witnessed by at least one other person--the trainer--who may or may not have a cell phone camera and a cruel sense of humor. :lol:

On 9/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, terrecar said:

Sure, you stock-savvy folks can hide your humiliation. We inexperienced folks don't have that option. Our humiliation must be witnessed by at least one other person--the trainer--who may or may not have a cell phone camera and a cruel sense of humor. :lol:

True :lol:, but there are disadvantages to that.  When that psycho sheep ran into me and tore my ligament, I was alone, unless you count puppy Darinka and the sheep.  Puppy Darinka did what she thought was best, given that the handler was down and crying, and she tirelessly circled the sheep keeping them as close to me as possible.  And when Ramirez the ram hit me, I also was alone, unless you count the buzzed off ram  (he was mad because one of the ewes came back from an extended date with another ram), the ewes, and the puppy Bonnie. 

DSC00532.JPG

I am very new to working my dogs and I wasn't even working them, the trainer was, when I went backwards over a tractor tire that had been sliced in half. I was admiring my dog driving the sheep and suddenly realised he was very kindly bringing them to me! I managed to bruise my ribs, a thigh (which is still lumpy) a knee and an ankle, as I landed spreadeagled over a very lumpy tire! Luckily for me there was no handy phone!

On 9/4/2018 at 3:36 PM, terrecar said:

just recently I was backing to a fence, eyes on the dog, I thought I had the situation under control when a sheep decided to panic and run me over from the side. I did not see it coming at all, I was just standing and then flying, and hitting the ground... I raised my head to see where the dog was, expecting the rest of the sheep running me over, then I saw my dog turning his back and walking away from me and the sheep, and lie down in the far corner of the fenced area I was training in... I was pleased to see the dog to do that for the first and only time, glad that nobody witnessed my epic fail :) and made me think a bit more about the danger of going training alone.

I love reading all of your stories, guys. It is not that I wish everyone to suffer similar indignities to mine, but it is great that we can commiserate and find the humor in them!  Thank you, Maja (whose dog in the pic looks very much like she is laughing). :)

• 10 months later...