BC Boards

Shame and lies

I do sometimes feel ashamed that I didn't adopt a rescue. But I don't lie about it. When I meet someone who has a rescue I praise them for it and tell the truth about how I got my dog. I looked for a rescue, but couldn't find a puppy quickly enough to suit me. I was unable to own a dog for 15 years and I wanted a puppy right away. I started looking online just to see what was out there and fell in love with Mancer as soon as I saw her picture. And that was that. People smile when they hear the story and no one has ever seemed put off or tried to shame me. You aren't doing anything wrong and have no need to feel ashamed or lie about it. 

10 hours ago, Baderpadordercollie said:

I've heard a lot of people refer to BCs as Sheepdogs, as the name of the breed. Sort of like how Australian Cattle Dogs are often called Heelers, BCs are sometimes called Sheepdogs whether they actually herd sheep or not. If somebody says "is she a Sheepdog?" I will say "yes," because I know they probably mean Border Collie and I don't care to correct them. To herd sheep is the original purpose of the breed so they're not technically incorrect. 

I usually just say "yes, she's a border collie which are bred and used to herd sheep. But I don't own any sheep so to me she's just my best buddy". :D

2 of my dogs are purebred working bred sheepdogs.   I have always had working bred dogs because I love their personalities.   All my working bred dogs have had really distinct individual personalities .  I love that.

And then I always have 1 or 2 rescue border collies.  i don't care about their breeding.  I just look for a dog that needs a home.  My rescues always seem to be healthier than my pure bred dogs.

Blue is my first dog (yes, I did prepare myself!), I got her from a breeder. I'm very empathetic towards animals, have always been, so I'd love to adopt from a shelter or from organisations rescuing dogs from meat trade in some countries - but that's for the future. I know that rescues might have been through some trauma, could've been neglected or abused and these are the dogs I'd like to help, but I don't think I'm ready for it right now. I wanted to start with a puppy treated well from the start that doesn't have any... problems... I may not know how to deal with yet because of my lack of experience and may not be able to cope with because of my personal health problems. I know it might sound silly, but I can be very sensitive about certain things and dogs have always been one of them.

I'm not very good at explaining that to others, I'm honestly quite bad at it, so I'll try to make it quick now: it's hard to tell what exactly a dog has been through before being rescued and I don't know how much I could help with, so I've decided to start with a puppy from a breeder. Once we're through all the ups and downs and I'll feel ready for it, I'll be more than happy to search the shelters for a dog that needs a home the most. For now I don't really feel ashamed and I won't lie about where did I get Blue from if asked. 

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, S Blue said:

I wanted to start with a puppy treated well from the start that doesn't have any... problems... I may not know how to deal with yet because of my lack of experience and may not be able to cope with because of my personal health problems.

Yes that's how it was for us. We wanted a puppy to grow into our family, yes there'll be problems along the way but we'll figure them out as we go along. I also know that simply being a rescue doesn't automatically mean that the dog has issues, but nearly all the ones I've seen advertised already have an established behaviour listed.

Also, people talk about rescuing as though it's an easy business. Where I am the criteria for being allowed to adopt a rescue dog is high and I doubt that we'd pass although I know a couple of people who have been refused a rescue dog from a centre but have gone on to be good dog parents. I hope one day I do live more rurally with more space and time and that will be when I am in a better position to help a needy dog.

Plus, the puppy we adopted had already been born. He was the smallest, ugliest, noisiest of the litter and the one who was most likely to be left until last to be chosen. By bringing him into our family I am guaranteeing that he will never end up in a rescue centre. Us not adopting him would not have created a space for a rescue dog.

A couple of people mentioned getting a rescue and I just said that I had considered it (because I had) and that it wasn't for us at this time.

4 hours ago, jami74 said:

By bringing him into our family I am guaranteeing that he will never end up in a rescue centre. 

Just for future reference, if you ever get another dog from a breeder: if a breeder is responsible, there is no chance of their dog ending up in a shelter. They will keep their puppies until they are adopted, no matter how long that takes, even if that means the dog stays with them their whole life. And they are always willing to take a dog back if the owner can't keep it for some reason. A responsible breeder would not even consider leaving a leftover puppy at a shelter, thus no need to adopt the smallest/ugliest puppy just to guarantee it won't end up in a shelter. If the breeder is responsible that is guaranteed from the start. 

2 hours ago, Baderpadordercollie said:

Just for future reference, if you ever get another dog from a breeder: if a breeder is responsible, there is no chance of their dog ending up in a shelter. They will keep their puppies until they are adopted, no matter how long that takes, even if that means the dog stays with them their whole life. And they are always willing to take a dog back if the owner can't keep it for some reason. A responsible breeder would not even consider leaving a leftover puppy at a shelter, thus no need to adopt the smallest/ugliest puppy just to guarantee it won't end up in a shelter. If the breeder is responsible that is guaranteed from the start. 

I was not suggesting that the lady who bred our dog would send one of her puppies to a shelter.

Or that we adopted our chosen puppy so that he didn't end up in a shelter.

Sorry if that's how it came across.