BC Boards

Flea and Tick Medication

drharps

A trainer asked what flea and tick medication I use. I told her I used something that was a chewable form and she immediately asked that we switch to liquid drop on the back. She indicated that the chewable can cause aggression and unpredictability. Has anyone heard this before? There are a couple of sites talking about it but I've never heard it. 

I have four BCs on monthly chewable (Nexgard here in Australia) because the drop on the back of the neck is ineffective against fleas in our area.  One of our boys (who has a sensitive stomach after green potato poisoning as a puppy) gets a little diarrhoea for a day or so.  There has been no increase in aggression or unpredictability for my boys.  The drop on the neck was hated by my boys.  The chewable has them come back looking for a second treat.

I realise this is purely anecdotal and not evidence, but I would be surprised if the allegations of a chewable causing aggression and unpredictability have scientific evidence.  Correlation does not equal causation.

If anyone knows of any reputable research on this matter, I would love to know too.  This is also the first I have heard of it.