BC Boards

Elderly dog's possible seizure?

Sue R

The nice thing is that Megan really is a happy dog. Deaf for nine years now, eyesight getting a little iffy when it's not good and bright light, body not the same as it was in her prime, but still a happy dog - ready to bully the "guest dog" (our daughter's dog, with us for a few months) when she feels like it; ready to bark her head off if she thinks there's something or someone outside (why not, she can't hear how loud she is); ready for her walks in any weather (she did over two miles this morning, on muddy, slick ground, with the sky spitting big flakes of snow and the wind blowing in her face); loving her food; and not being offended too badly when she has an occasional night-time or barking-time leak. 

She's always been a dog who exuded joie de vivre, holding her head high and sniffing the breezes, reading all the "pee mail", and sniffing the cats' breath to see if they have been eating anything interesting. While she can't eat edible bones any more, she at least has her chewies that are compatible with her dietary needs and that she enjoys. 

She's a happy girl! These episodes are just very temporary bumps in her road. 

Thanks, all! 

• 3 weeks later...

Fourth seizure today, mild, and she peed. I had just put her in the car and in the time it took me to walk around to the other side, she had seized and fallen on the floor. Short duration, mild symptoms, and just fine but subdued after. I think she was confused by finding herself on the floor. At the vet's now for everyone's annual exam.