BC Boards

Mommy and Me

We interchange, sometimes we are mom and dad, sometimes not. It has also been very dog specific. The cuddly/needy/child-like dogs we have had, we are mom and dad to them. The dogs that would roll their eyes at us for thinking of them that way (well, you know they would if they could), we haven't been mom and dad.

We had our first golden before we had children, and she was definitely treated like a child. We used her for practice with child-rearing and it worked like a charm! Same principles, love, limits, and consistancy work on dogs and kids. However, the dog was always WAY more compliant than any of the kids.

Our current dog is introduced by my dad as "our granddog Scout". Even my grandma is being won over by his winning ways, though I can't ever imagine her calling him her "great-granddog"!!

Guilty.

The pack are definitely our babies. We don't have any human children, and I don't know that we will. We use "mommy" and "daddy" occasionally when talking to the dogs (ie where's daddy?? Go get him!) but as we've referred to each other by pet names for so long, it was a pretty easy stretch.

And yes, both my parents and his are the grandparents to the grandpuppies. We don't have a lot of friends with kids, so there isn't much comparing.

Danielle, Nik Grumpy-butt, Sasha-wigglebutt, and the Sassy-frassy-Lassie. (Nicknames ever evolving, of course!)