BC Boards

Mommy and Me

This is a question for both those of you who have working borders & companions - how many people call themselves their dogs "mom" or "dad"?

I never understood why people in relationships got dogs to *test* the other person for compatibility with children (really it seemed totally reckless if you ever broke up) but my boyfriend and I now share a VERY spoiled pooch who is literally our suregat child! Madison is the MOST spoiled dog I have ever met! and it's not that she gets alot of expensive toys - it's just the sense of entitlement that she's inherited. She takes up more room on the bed then either of us!! And after being shoed off 3 times this morning just kept hopping back up because she wants to partake in whatever we're doing. So while we're not technically hitched yet (long story) we do share a puppy who has both a "mommy" and a "daddy" - lucky girl!

I'm watching a show that just told me 85% of pet owners do call their dogs their children, but I got to thinking border collies are kind of a speical case since so many of them are working dogs. So I'm just being curious

Nes.

I refer to myself as Maggie's girl, sometimes mom tho for lack of a better term. Owner seems kinda harsh and "caretaker" or "guardian" too strange lol.

With Fergie, we refer to each other as Mommy & Daddy, As in, "lLet's go get the paper for Daddy". Or, "Where is Mommy hiding>"

We did not intend that when we got her. But, when we told our adult children that we had finally gotten a new dog, they each asked about "my new sister".

We've got good kids!

Well, I always swore I would NEVER, NEVER call myself some dogs Mommy. . . :rolleyes: I thought people that did that needed to get a life. :D

But I am now a Mommy to three (previously four) furry four-legged kids, I love them to pieces and I'm proud to call myself their Mom.

My adult kids have accused me of replacing them with dogs. Well they might have a point there. :D

I call myself mom to my dogs all the time. They're my babies.

I've had them since they were tiny fluffs or fur and that's just how I think of them I guess.. :rolleyes:

DH and I call ourselves Odin's Momma and Poppa and my inlaws are Grandma and Grandpa

Odin isn't just our dog to us, he's our baby.

Without him we would just be a couple - with him we are a family.

Originally posted by fooshuman:

As you can tell from my login name hehehe i just call myself their human.

Okay, I admit up front I can be a dork sometimes. Up until I read this, I said your name as Foo-shu-man. I could never figure out what it meant or how you came up with it, even though I knew about Foo!!! Once driving in FL I saw a sign that said, "STADIUM 3 miles", and I drove for about 2 miles wondering who St. Adium was! Finally it dawned on me, and I laughed at myself and blamed it on being 3am!!! :rolleyes:

I don't do it either. Since I've never found any human word that seems to fit whatever they see in us (it's a doggie thing, after all) I also call myself her human.

St. Adium :rolleyes: that happens to me too, though, and not only at three am.

My husband and I are "mommy & daddy" to our dogs too. Actually my youngest, Chloe has 2 daddys, because my oldest, Griffin is her father. I always joke though that he's the deadbeat dad because he always takes everything away from her (treats, toys, etc) and he never shares. My husband is definitely the better doggie daddy.

mommy and daddy here too. We have no kids and our animals are basically our kids. Although in our hearts they are, we still know they're animals. Like I'll say.. do you have to go tinkle? and she'll jump and I say "go tell daddy" and she'll run and pester OH till he takes her lol :rolleyes: He'll bring her back in and say "Go see Mommy" (she waits at the door for us to come in and then give her the ok to come in too)

Originally posted by Odin's Momma:

DH and I call ourselves Odin's Momma and Poppa and my inlaws are Grandma and Grandpa

Odin isn't just our dog to us, he's our baby.

Without him we would just be a couple - with him we are a family.

That is exactley the was I feel about our little family, that was a very nice way to put it

Madison is also being taught to "go find mommy" and "go find daddy". It's funny that I think the moment my SO decided I was really the one for him was when we were babysitting his family dog and she chose me as a suroget mommy to "go get" Unfortunatly that involved tackling me and licking my face all over... but she's still a sweet dog . He's trying to teach madison to do the same thing :rolleyes:

Madison is so smart though she does know "go pee" or "go poop" - I think the neighbours are starting to think I'm strange... standing out on the lawn at 11pm telling me dog to "go pee sweetie" or "hurry up or we're going inside" (which she's learned as well! so smart!)

All of the with-children couples we know get an earful on the puppies progess - I try to not to parallel it with their kids, but it's hard to resist... 'oh little susie isn't potty trained yet? well madison has been house-broken for 2 months now...' :D

Nes.

I don't refer to myself as my dogs' mom either. My family refers to me either her girl or her person. I think when you have a working dog, you develope a different view of and relationship with them - more as working partner. It's a whole different bond that you share.

But my aunt told us once that when preparing for a family get-together, my cousins were talking about which cousins would be there. They included their "cousins" Missy and Rocko ( a rat terrier who belongs to another relative)...

well, yes. DH and I are not planning on having children, but having animals instead.

I've had Jack since he was 8 weeks old (unplanned puppy! for me, anyhow. he used to belong to an ex of mine, and when that little fluffball fell asleep on my shoulder the first night he was home, like a baby, he was mine.)

We refer to each other as "mommy" and "daddy" to the dog, but if I tell Jack "Go get Brendan" he'll do that just as well as if I had told him "Go get daddy."

Funny... it just occured to me that we definitely don't do this for our two pet toads!

Yes, I'll confess - we're Mommy and Daddy to all three dogs and three cats. What's worse, I suppose, is that I'm also Mommy to my paint horse, Quanah. But not to Bram, my draft cross - at 23, he's older (well in horse years) than I am, so my being Mommy to him would be silly. I refer to myself as his human, though.

Sometimes man and wife can not have there own children to have a family and Having an animal is the best thing to do adopting a dog/cat in someway cheaper than a child. like me and my wife sarah we can not have children do to medical reasons sure we could adopt a child but we pefer our fury kids!! hell our moms and dads have taken our kids and treat them as they were thier grandkids. always having treats or toys for them our just stopping buy to see them!!

I am absolutely the mommy. Very guilty on that one. DH and I sometimes get in the habit of referring to each other as "mommy" and "daddy", when the dogs are involved. It's made our non-dog-friends scratch their heads when I sometimes mention "the kids" in a joking way. :rolleyes: Guess it's all good practice for when we finally have human kids.

My dad has firmly taken over the roll of daddy to Oreo and Tessa. He says they're his second and third daughters.