BC Boards

Clipping/grooming

I have a dog who is not a fan of being brushed, mainly because he has quite wiry fur on his hindquarters and bloomers.  I tried one of those mitts and had no real success;  he didn't hate it, but it did bupkiss when it came to getting undercoat out. It might be a good massage?

I have found that I have to get him really relaxed with a good scratching and petting, then sneak out an undercoat rake which I had hidden away, and brush him quite gently, interspersed with pats and constant reassurance.  Even then I can really only do a section at a time.  The best I have found is a narrow but long toothed, double row undercoat rake designed for long coat and wiry coated breeds.  He seems to tolerate that brush the best out of all I have found so far.  I guess it pulls his fur the least.  But that is more due to his coat type than a blanket fear of being brushed like your dog.

I do like the look of the brush you have bought.  If I was going to go for a brush for a dog that was afraid of them, that looks like a good one. 

Blue Dog, I just want to say words of encouragement to you about getting your dog used to being brushed. In my experience it is not a problem that takes a long time if it is approached slowly with treats and petting, as you plan to do. I have done it with foster dogs. One of my own dogs would run and hide if he even saw a comb or brush when he first came. He was truly terrified, and I think it could be because he was shaved to the skin at the shelter, and since they do not remotely have time to de-sensitize a dog, they probably just had to hold him down and do it. It was surprising to me that it only took two weeks of daily working with treats and petting while bringing the brush just a little closer and finally using it just to touch lightly and so on, for him to get over his fear. Now, when I bring out the comb and brushes and show them to him he comes wagging up to me and I don't even have to call him. Best of luck with this - I think you will be successful.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, Lawgirl said:

So what you need to do is desensitisation.  Depending on how bad she is, you start by putting the brush down somewhere and rewarding her for looking at it.  Then, when she is comfortable looking at it, you no longer reward for looking at it, but you reward her for moving towards it.  Then you reward her for getting closer.  Then for touching it.  Then you start over with you holding it still.    Then with you touching her with it.  Then, finally, you can think about starting to brush, very gently.  This is going to take time and lots of treats.

There was a video on a sudden fear of a kitchen thread recently which shows the sort of process you go through to over come fear in a dog.  Same theory, different fear.  Small steps, lots of positive reinforcement. 

I have to admit that my knee-jerk reaction to your prescription was "she must be kidding" but we are doing it as prescribed and it is really kind of fun.  In addition to all of her favorite stuffed animals, the brush went in her crate last night.  We plan to keep these little sessions up all week before we "think about starting to brush".  She already seems fond of the menacing purple puppy eater :).  Thanks.

I am glad it seems to be working! 

I must admit I am not talking from personal experience, but from group experience from others on this forum dealing with things like dogs afraid of a car etc.

If things take a backwards step, you just need to go back to where she is comfortable again and go more slowly, breaking things down into slower steps, but hopefully that doesn't happen.

So far so good.  We are making a family road trip to Galveston Island in a few days.  If she is anything like Blue, she will be spending some time in the ocean.  The water temperature is probably around 57°F now.  Blue will be up to his neck in it for brief periods.  She got belly deep in the Ross Barnett reservoir a few days ago not sure how cold that was but WAY too cold for me.  I have lived most of my life in Miami.

I digress.  A brush may come in handy in Galveston.  Interestingly, unlike Blue, Bonnie does not mind a bubble bath with her "mom" at all.  I discourage this as I do not believe in the frequent use of any kind of soap on a dog.  They are like cast iron pans.  Scrub em with fresh water and dry em off. Actually, they are a whole lot better than antique cookware :).

I think you will find many people on this forum join in your view of the rare need to wash their BCs. 

I have four BCs, two aged six and a half years, one aged five years, and one about to turn two.  George (6 and a half) has been groomed, I think, three times, and bathed about six times.  Oscar, also 6 and a half, has been groomed about five times and gets bathed about every  four to six months.  Bailey, aged five years, has been washed maybe five times.  Shadow, who came to us at 11 months, has been washed twice.