BC Boards

6 month heartworm meds

Bubby

Anyone have any experience with the one-shot-good-for-6-months heartworm medication? It is called ProHeart 6. The website specifically notes that it is safe for collie breeds. My vet suggested it to me today when I was in there getting some more Interceptor for the girls. With the mosquitos we have down here I need to have them on something effective.

Guest PrairieFire

Bubby - there was a thread on this subject a while back - you could probably search the archives and find it again...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

There's a once a year injection out also. I'm happy with the once a month one as it is combined heat worm and program (interrupts the breeding cycle of fleas). As I've only found 2 fleas in almost 4 years (and those were after exposure to dogs with fleas) I figure if it aint broke don't fix it. But your lifestyle and management stragegy may well do better with something totally different. I'd recommend discussing with your vet, as well as reading whatever info is available.

Sharon

• 2 months later...

A friend just e-mailed me and told me that she nearly lost her border collie because of the six month shot. He is thin, like a border collie should be and so because of the lack of fat to absorb the drug his body got the whole dose all at once. It was nip and tuck for the last two days but he seems to be doing all right now. Her vet told her that he knew of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who had the shot and died shortly after from a stroke. She asked me to pass this on.

I don't know what the previous thread on this said and I don't have time to look it up so if this info is in there....