BC Boards

clicker training

I have a 8 month old puppy that I am starting in agility, she loves the class but on Monday we started using the clicker and she is sensitive to the sound of the clicker. When I introduced the clicker I had would click it(behind my back to help muffel the sound) and give her a treat which she liked, but her adversion to the sound is greater than the reward, she is not too afraid of it but does no like it.

I am not making a big deal of it, but when I reward her I click, treat and praise then jump around, I also have the clicker in my pocket and I am wearing gloves, as she gets use to the sound I hope to be able click normaly.

I would like some other ideas on how to desinsitise her to the sound. Thank you for any help that will ease her through this phase

Is it a standard clicker with a fairly loud sound? There are other clickers, like the I-Click, that have a much softer, easier on the ears kind of noise. I use those because I personally find a regular clicker a little aversive myself. My sheltie was afraid of the clicker (the only time she's run away from food) until I bought an I Click. She now will work with a regular clicker but her right eye still gives the tiniest twitch each time it clicks so I know she still isn't crazy about the sound.

I actually use a verbal marker "yes" more than I do a clicker. My timing is better that way and I never fumble for it

I would recommend an i-click, too. Sammie used to dislike the regular clicker strongly and he still gets startled by it from time to time. He is very sound sensitive and while he gets that the clicker is a marker and he loves clicker training, sometimes the sound just bothers him. I got him an i-click and he responds very well to it. I try to use the i-click with him exclusively and always, always when training a brand new behavior.

You can order the i-click from www.clickertraining.com

Yes it is the standard clicker and like you I don't like the sound either. Where can I get the I-Click, is it something Pet-Co would carry or do I need to order it online.

I didn't think this was an unusual problem but at the same time it is good to hear from someone who has been there.

As far as timing trying to click, treat and say yes, at times I just have to laugh at myself

You can order the i click I think at Karen Pryor's site, google either i click or Karen Pryor.

Or, try working with a ball point pen that clicks. Some people use a snapple lid, it's got a little indentation that you can push and it makes a quieter clicking sound.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Ruth n the BC3

I was so sad when I lost my I-Click. ARG the other ones are so loud. I manged to get all 6 of my clickers (including the I-Click one) for free at doggie festivals. But other then that I haven't seen the I-click anywhere in local stores.

Even with the softer Clicker, just doing either inside a pocket or behind your back would still be a good idea at first. Give it time, and use it often (not just during class or special training time - also just during play and around the house, always with a treat though). Those steps will also help and before long so should recognize it as a marker.

But, of course if nothing gets her to like the clicker - your voice can do the same thing, so all hope is NEVER lost!

Heheh - order more than one i-click - you will lose some for sure! I don't know where lost i-clicks go - they're probably hanging out with the odd socks!

I'd go for very high rate of reinforcement with very high value treats until your pup gets used to the sound - as well as the muffling ideas people have suggested -I've heard of people using masking tape to muffle their clicker.

I was going to get a package of 5 to start with...Gracie(pup) and I had 2 short training sessions with the new quite clicker and she did great...and best of all had fun

Lots of praise...lots of "yes yes yes"....lots of me jumping around...and she was back to her old self of learning things faster than I can teach them....looking at me saying "ok what is next" :rolleyes: