BC Boards

Buying equipment

Any suggestions on where to buy a decent tunnel at an affordable price? Location doesn't matter, provided they can ship for a reasonable amount. I've been looking at some on ebay, but I think some of those ones are light weight (210 denier nylon) Not sure how well they'd hold up. I think I'd like to buy a sturdier tunnel (& hopefully still have a few cents left to my name). I have a lightweight short tunnel, about 5-6 feet, so I'd like to get a longer one, anything from 15-20 feet if possible.

NTIGlobal (mentioned above) is having a sale; free shipping plus a percentage off can't remember if it's 10 or 20% off. I threw their postcard away because we didn't need another tunnel right now. We love our tunnel from them. (I also have a super lightweight tunnel I got on ebay--not nearly as durable as the one from NTI.)

Barb S

The most important thing is to make sure the tunnels are made out of air ducting material - not material for water.

The ducting used for water is a different surface - almost like a light greasing for the water to run well, and the least bit of wetness on the dogs feet can cause them to fall in the tunnels.

The AAC Nationals one year had the tunneling from ABC Manufacturing which is air ducting and we also had someone else supply tunnels - they were for conducting water and we had to pull all of those onesw as even with the dog's feet damp from the dew in the morning they were wiping out in those tunnels. Luckily enough we had enough of ABC Manufacturing tunnels to replace them all.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the NTI site, wouldn't you know that sale ended on Dec. 15th. Their prices still seem pretty good though, in comparison with other quality tunnels. Good to know about the water ducting, what kind of material would that be made from? I've seen tunnels advertised made from various materials, from 210 denier nylon (which I'm guessing would be quite light and not very durable), to dacron to PVC.

I don't know exactly what they are made of- I would just ask if the material used is for air ducting or for water. We don't purchase from agility equipment people for our tunnels, we purchase directly from ABC Manufacturing in Saskatchewan - they actually supply this ducting for mines etc - supplying to agility people and clubs became a sideline for them about 12 years ago - just as it happens when there was a slump in the mining end of things - lucky for them!!!!

Originally posted by Northof49:

we purchase directly from ABC Manufacturing in Saskatchewan

What are their prices like, in comparison say with NTI? I did a search and found their website, but there aren't any prices listed.

Sorry, can't help you with the prices, we haven't purchased one for a few years. The last ones we got we purchased at the AAC Nationals in Saskatoon. You would have to contact them directly - I don't know what the shipping cost would be either.

http://www.abccanada.ca/en/MineDuct.shtml

You want the 24" diameter and 6" pitch. I know they come in different colours as well.

No matter where I buy I'll have to pay shipping (except NTI apparently, but I'd still have to factor in the exchange rate, plus there's a fee listed on their site for shipping across border). Right now I'm just trying to shop around a bit, compare prices and quality of tunnels to see where would be the best place for me to buy one. Christmas is coming and I'm doing my "me" shopping early! I've got some relatives who always give monetary gifts, so guess what I'll be buying. :rolleyes:

Just came across this site:

https://www.dogtunnels.net/store/comersus_l...p?idCategory=50

They're in North Bay and the prices listed are in Canadian $. Any opinions on their tunnels?

Originally posted by Northof49:

Sorry, can't help you with the prices, we haven't purchased one for a few years. The last ones we got we purchased at the AAC Nationals in Saskatoon. You would have to contact them directly - I don't know what the shipping cost would be either.

http://www.abccanada.ca/en/MineDuct.shtml

You want the 24" diameter and 6" pitch. I know they come in different colours as well.

Wow, this is awesome info. Thanks very much, I will inquire with them about price/color/etc. and post back here what I find out. I live in Moose Jaw so we're about 250kms from Saskatoon so I am hoping they ship STC.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who's dealt with NTI Global ever had trouble getting a reply when you contacted them? Twice now I've filled in their "contact us" form and haven't heard back from them. Originally their site said the sale was on until Dec. 15, then it updated to Dec. 25. I was trying to get some more info in time to order during the sale, but haven't got any reply. The only thing I can't think of is that their form wouldn't accept my yahoo address, it called it an invalid address. I had to put another one on the form that can no longer receive mail, but in the box where I was asking some questions I put a note with the yahoo address that they would need to reply to. I'm thinking I may have to try giving them a call.

I guess that's what I'll do. Last night I searched through their whole site and finally found an email address (instead of just filling in the "contact us" page again). I sent an email but haven't heard anything yet again. I'm hoping that since I've been trying to make contact with them since before the sale was over they may honour the sale price.

Well I finally got a reply from NTI Global and I didn't have to call them. I didn't hear back from the email I sent, but I decided to register on their site to see if that would make any difference, if maybe then their contact form would accept my yahoo address that they were previously calling invalid. Anyways, I was sent a registration confirmation email, so I sent them back a reply at that address and heard right back from them. They said they would still honour the sale price (sale was supposed to be over Dec. 25), and confirmed that it IS free shipping to my location in Canada. So, I'm getting the 15' tunnel for only $141 plus their border crossing fee of $20.99 (for orders up to $200) and 6% GST. Pretty good deal from what I've seen and I tried to do a lot of comparison shopping before making a decision. I couldn't make up my mind about colour at first, but I decided to go with light blue with black rings. I had thought about the darker blue, bright red or yellow, but I read on one agility site that the ligher colours are easier to start the dogs on, and then progress to darker colours later. That's why I avoided their darker blue. On my computer screen it looked almost navy, though on my daughter's computer it wasn't nearly that dark. Decided not to take a chance on it being really dark blue though and went with the light blue instead. Now I can't wait for it to get here. In the meantime though, I've got something else to keep me busy, I'm making my own chute, I found some 400D nylon packcloth material available for a good price on ebay, it's the same material used by NTI Global for their chutes. I'm going to sew it into a tube and mount it on a blue barrel, with a piece of rubber matting in the barrel, same as my agility instructor has done with her training chute. Now if only I had an A-frame...

Goody for getting tunnel!

The dark blue is pretty dark (that is what I got). But I got it BECAUSE it was dark (little fluffy dogs don't like big scary tunnels), so that is OK. :rolleyes:

I still need to MAKE my chute, as I have all the stuff....

Good luck with the A-frame! Not cheap and not easy to make! :D

I think if I can ever get my husband to make the time, he could make me an A-frame without too much trouble. He's pretty handy at making stuff, once I can get him motivated to get at it (that's the hardest part!). He built me my tire jump and he also built me a dryland training rig for sledding practise when there's no now. With the weather we've been having around here this year it is certainly coming in handy. My daughter wants to compete in the Kid & Mutt race at the Haliburton Dogsled Derby in 3 1/2 weeks and we currently have no snow! Will have to get busy running the roads with Lightning on the rig to get him ready, and hope for a big snowfall between now and then, and hope it lasts this time. Following the Derby we have a 3 week break and then we have 3 more races we'd like to go to.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo, my tunnel just arrived!!! :rolleyes: That was speedy, speedy, especially since I only mailed them the cheque about a week ago. I figured it would take longer, first for the cheque to reach them, then for it to clear and then the shipping here. But, it was only Tuesday last week that I placed the order and put the cheque in my mailbox on Wednesday, which would mean it wouldn't have gone out at the post office until Thursday last week.

The tunnel looks great, I took it out of the box and spread it from my living room around into my kitchen and Lightning thought that was great. Then I let the other dogs in from the yard and Thunder went through it as well (his first time through anything other than a straight little 6' tunnel) Noah just watched them and barked as usual, and Flash knew something different was up so he took off to his hiding place under the bed.

I'd definitely recommend NTI Global to anyone else looking to purchase a tunnel.