BC Boards

Training to Fetch Tennis Ball

Genie

I have a question for the flyball folks and all others that have dogs that are obsessed with fetching tennis balls:

How do you train/encourage them to bring it back? My GSD just seemed to do it naturally and my last BC couldn't care less about a tennis ball.

My new puppy (Zeb) is eager to chase and pick up the ball, but will often lay down with it or drop it. I would really like to encourage him to fetch, especially since I may want to try flyball someday.

Well....Dazzle needed anything BUT encouragement! :rolleyes: She just does, and never stops doing.

But, how I planned to do train her:

First just getting her to go after it if she didn't already. Once she showed interest in going to get the ball - but a leash on her (long line) and throw it, once she has it in her mouth - gently lead her towards you. Praise for any movement in your direction, aksing for more each time. LOTS of praise (sometimes treats when she gets to me, sometimes just another throw the INSTANT the ball is in my hand).

So anyway, that was my plan but she was doing it like a pro within a few months with no help other than some praise. Because Zeb is still young, you might just want to see what happens (praising for movement in your direction) but only start "training" after a few months.

I don't do flyball (yet. :D ) so I don't know how the best way would be for a flyball dog...

Originally posted by Kat's Dogs:

Because Zeb is still young, you might just want to see what happens (praising for movement in your direction) but only start "training" after a few months.

I decided to just let him do what he wants for now and see what he does. I took him to the park again today and at first, he chased the ball, would pick it up, then drop it and run around or go lie down. I let him do what he wanted and focused on trying to make the toys seem as interesting as possible for him.

After taking a break and letting him rest, I tried the squeaky tennis balls again and just squeaked them on the ground to get his attention. After a few squeaks, he really wanted the tennis ball and tried to grab it. I then threw it, he chased it, picked it up and I tried calling him back. He ran in sort of a wide arc, but came within a few feet of me and dropped it, then came the rest of the way for his treat. (I'm rewarding his recall right now.) I gave him the treat and leaned over, got the ball and gave it to him. I hope that will show him that he doesn't just automatically lose the toy when he brings it to me. I got out another squeeky tennis ball and repeated the process. I quit on a good note after a few fetches, but I think we're making progress now.

He thinks of the ball as his reward so he doesn't need to bring it back to you

You need to go back and do some work either tug or ball on a rope interacting, playing and tugging with you. Once he knows that the fun/reward is playing and interacting with YOU with the toy, If you then toss the tug ball to him turn and run the other way he should chase you down with it to play with him again... then just build it up into a retrieve. I will tell you some of the most sucessful flyball dogs are the ones you could initially bounce a ball off their forhead. It is the recall back to interact with you that is important. Lots of restrained recalls to tugs and play...

Have fun!

Cindy

http://www.bordercollierescueont.com

Originally posted by mosstheboss2000:

He thinks of the ball as his reward so he doesn't need to bring it back to you

You need to go back and do some work either tug or ball on a rope interacting, playing and tugging with you.

Thank you. I'll try that.