BC Boards

Starting agility lessons!

I signed Lightning up for beginner agility and our first class is tomorrow (well, today now at this time of night). I'm so excited, I can't wait! I was going to try it last fall but the classes ended up being postponed because of weather. I've chosen a different place now, it's further away from me but they've got an indoor facility so I can do it now when I've got the time.

Whoohoo!

You go Lightning! You are going to have SOOO much fun! I know the feeling well of not being able to wait for class!

Glad you found an indoor place - I would hate it if a class was cancelled because of weather!

Have fun!

Indoor is great because in the summer my schedule is always to busy. Late fall, winter and early spring are when I have time to play

The lesson went well. Being that it was the first one, there was lots of barking at the beinning and it was a bit hard to hear the instructor trying to talk, but the dogs settled down after a bit. I've done some work with Lightning myself before, so he's already familiar with 2 of the 3 obstacles we were working on today (we were doing tire, tunnel and chute, and he's done the first 2 at home). Some of the others had never tried anything like that and one of the dogs seemed a bit nervous of being around other dogs. Lightning is such a quick learner that I think he'll do really well with it. Already looking forward to next week, but in the meantime we've been given some "homework" to do.

Glad to hear that it went well! Usually the first class is the hardest - unknown dogs, and even the people don't know what to expect!

Good luck at the next class (and all the ones that follow it!), and make sure Lightning does his homework like a good dog! :rolleyes:

p.s. You said a lot of barking. Are all the dogs under controll though? That is the real question - be careful if all the dogs in a class (even a beginner one) don't have much obedience on them.

Originally posted by Kat's Dogs:

p.s. You said a lot of barking. Are all the dogs under controll though? That is the real question - be careful if all the dogs in a class (even a beginner one) don't have much obedience on them.

The classes are small, only 4 dogs and 3 will be on leash while one dog & handler work on an obstacle off leash. A couple of times a dog didn't stick right with the handler and tried to run around investigating, but the instructor addressed how to handle the situation, both from the point of view of that dog's handler, and what to do if the on leash dogs are approached by a loose dog. In that respect Lightning's the best behaved so far. He's always so focussed on me, watching to see what I want. Plus, he's used to being around other dogs (mine plus others he's socialized with). His biggest problem is getting too excited and bouncing around me yelping & barking when he thinks I'm going to ask him to do something. When it's not his turn though he's quiet and settled.

Our homework involved getting the dogs used to walking on either side of the handler instead of heeling on left, and teaching them to touch a target in various locations. In hand: held up, down, left, right, and on the floor in different places. Also, down a few steps on the stairs. I think the lady who's dog was more nervous was also given some other things to work on, and also to try to teach her dog to respond to the clicker. I've had the target all over the place for Lightning to touch, and down the stairs and he's got it already. Walking by my side is another story, it goes more like this: run, bounce, bark, stand in front facing towards me, sit, down, jump around some more...all the time with an attitude like "what, what? is this what you want? how 'bout this? can we run now? c'mon, I'm ready, let's do something! Anything!"