BC Boards

Agility Venues

This question is for those of you who have competed in agility.

Which non-AKC agility venue do you like to compete in and why?

I ask because I am going to consider a venue for Maddie to compete in. She's a mix, so AKC is not an option. She does not look enough like any kind of purebred to ILP, so that's not an option. However, all of her training is on AKC regulation equipment/AKC rules.

So, if you've trained on AKC equipment/AKC rules and have competed in other venues, how did that go? I guess that's a second question!!

I am familiar with the names of some of the venues that mixes can compete in and I know I can read their websites for the rules, but I am interested in firsthand experience from those who have competed in the venues.

There's very little difference between AKC and USDAA equipment - other than a higher A-frame for "Championship" division in USDAA and slightly higher jump heights for larger dogs. (22" vs 20", and 26" vs 24"). Personally, I think USDAA courses are more fun and flowing for the most part, with nicer distances between obstacles and less tricks and traps. I love seeing the "All-Americans" (mixed breeds) compete, there are some really awesome ones out there. I like the variety of games classes in USDAA, and if your dog isn't up to doing the higher A-frame and/or jump heights, then you can show in "Performance" classes-using a lower jump height and A-frame.

Most places are really similar to AKC equip. At my training center they have mostly AKC stuff but almost everybody there competes NADAC - so not really a problem there unless you are training really competitive and in that case you should have the equipment for whatever org. you are doing.

Also, don't forget that you can do every organization if you want to! I like (and eventually plan to compete in) USDAA, NADAC,and CPE. Lots of dogs have the highest titles in EACH! So that is an option too! :rolleyes:

I have only done NADAC, but I am really liking USDAA now that I have done more research in to it. But keep in mind they are very different (and so is CPE). USDAA has more tight turns, and it seems to be HARDER stuff. NADAC has much smoother courses, and is more about SPEED. see the difference? I don't know much about CPE but it is a bit more competitor friendly for beginners (no teeters or weaves at first).

they are all so very different so it really depends which kind of competition YOU like - one isn't better then the other. So good luck in choosing! :D (or, like me, don't bother - do them all!)

I LOVE USDAA!! :rolleyes: NADAC is 2nd. I'm trying AAC this fall! (Canadian agility)

On a side note, puppy Rave competes for the first time this weekend! eek! She's doing USDAA this weekend and NADAC the following 2 weekends (just b/c it's so NADAC-heavy out here).

My advise, just start training and see what you and the dog prefer. You'll have plenty of time to decide!

USDAA starter courses are wid eopen so keep in touch with your Pup. Last week end was my boys first USDAA . rainny day he got 52 points and 4th place in Gamblers . Standard slid out of tunnel hit one bar !

The field was flooded so we whnt home skiped snooker and our jumpers course . This week end Akc and a hurricae on its way .OMG

Have Fun we do

bobh

I've tried all three venues in my area ACK...er AKC, NADAC the ever changing venue and USDAA. I absolutely adore doing USDAA the people are wonderful, the judges offer challenging yet fair courses at all levels, and you get plenty of bang for your buck. The courses offer both tight technical portions and run like you are on fire portions. The game Snooker is the best thing since sliced bread. Did I mention that the people are great?

I use to do NADAC a couple of times a year but since USDAA has grown by leaps and bounds in my area I had to pick. NADAC has a tendency to drive a Trial Secretary to drink with all the equipment, class and rule changes that have happened over the last few years. I'm not even sure what level my dogs are suppose to jump anymore let alone enter. I enjoyed Tunnelers greatly. NADAC courses for the most part are what I call "Run Like you're on fire" courses. Which my 'balls to the wall' Aussie takes litterally and I'm usually 3-4 obsticles away from him frantically calling directionals as he launches rocket like off the startline. Whats nice about NADAC is the senior dogs get to play much longer having to jump only 16"inches max and the low A-frame.

ACK ummm AKC well need I say more? I tried it and found it to be lacking to say the least. When I went to my first AKC trial I had just moved to Masters lvl in USDAA and was at Open in NADAC. I was in dire need of an agility fix and this trial was the only game in town. I can remember walking the Nov B course getting to number 15 and wondering where the heck the rest of the course was. LOL I was so use to 20 in USDAA and 20+ in NADAC. Ashe finished his Nov B titles (std, jww) in two shows, same with open all in blue. Which I was tickled about but found no challenge. I also found the majority of people that did AKC exclusively, for the most part, were unsocialable and standoffish. I don't enjoy having to take a loan out to enter 3 dogs and having only two classes a day, normally 1 first thing in the am and the other at the end of the day. I am not the type of person that can nap at a trial so was pretty bored when I wasnt volunteering. All that said what it boils down to is that USDAA is my first best bet for agility.

Pat,

I love USDAA , we have only a few that are close. If more than 2 hours away the wife wants a motel

lots of bucks to run 3 dogs and sleep over !

I must say that if your dog is trained than you will find all the novice , starters courses easy. My aussie is elite in Nadac in jumpers standard and the old gamblers and I would have to say Iam not much of a handler but i never saw a NADAC course tht was hard !

In USDAA I would say that the starters courses are basicly the same as AKC novice courses .

I have 1 dog in EX B and I do find the courses challanging but as i said I am not a good handler.

As in life i have found good and bad in people that do all venues .

bobh

bobh

Two words for your wife: TENT CAMPING. LOL Been where you've been 3 dogs running, hotel room, 2+ hrs of travel to trial, add in 2 kids and that about covers it. The cost of a room, dinning out, and entry fees made us look at tent camping. I put my foot down and demanded an air mattress because my back would not put up with sleeping on the ground.

Do you attend the Y Agility trials at Blackthorne in June and Sept or the Saratoga trial Mem. weekend? We may have run into each other at some point. We use to do PLAY up in Fryeburg too but the drive was too much for us although we loved going up and camping right at the site.

You are right about there being both types of people in all the venues. Now that I think about it you are right I can't think of "hard" Nadac course either. Although I look at the length of the Nationals courses and think to myself "You have got to be kidding me! Where do they put the O2 station?" Half way through the course with my aussie I would pass out from oxygen deprivation LOL.

But whatever can be said about Agility good or bad I am an avowed Agility Junkie

Pat all my friends will be at Blackthorn this week end. I am working.

I told my wife that we must go and do USSDA next year and told her that you said we should camp.

I have not gone to Naddac nationals but i would find that dificult.

I have a blue merl aussie her name is SPLASH very fast.

I train with Errin Schafer, SNEAK and Betty Belliveau.

I am an avowed Agility Junkie
I wish I could say the same. My experience with Speedy and agility really crushed my enthusiasm for it. In fact, it's only recently that I stopped calling myself an "agility flunkie"!!

But Miss Maddie simply adores agility. She's not lightning fast or really driven or anything, but she loves the equipment and really enjoys the teamwork of agility. It's fun - she gets lots of praise and treats in training. She does agility very nicely.

So, I enjoy it with her and I do want to try competing, but it's more for her enjoyment than for mine!!!

Bobh,

Bummer on having to work while everyone else is out having fun! Splash seems to be familiar to me but could be another dog Im thinking of. My aussie is a BM also. Camping is definately cheaper than a hotel, but more time consuming to prepare for. There are some very nice sights too, in Saratoga we camp right off the river and wake up to the Mullet jumping in the morning and all the birds..of course this is about 5am and I dont have to get up until 6am. Even if she doesnt want to go the way of the camp stove you have the option to eat out and have extra $$ to do it with. Some campsites even have a laundry area if you need it.

++++++++++

I wish I could say the same. My experience with Speedy and agility really crushed my enthusiasm for it. In fact, it's only recently that I stopped calling myself an "agility flunkie"!!

Kristine,

I'm sorry that you had what sounds like a hard/frustrating time w/your bc Speedy. Believe me I know what that can be like. I am told that my aussie has so much potential but he just doesnt use it. He'd much rather bark and bite me on course. In his defense I have to say that most of it is my fault. My 1st agility dog Ashe is a steady eddie and not hyper fast so I am very spoiled. But, either I am a glutton for punishment or I just see those flashes of brilliance w/Riley often enough to keep me coming to the startline.