BC Boards

Does your BC scare other dogs?

All the ones in my neck of the woods run screaming away from Violet. :confused: She's sooo not aggressive - my Lhasa Apso can make her cry by looking at her cross-eyed. :rolleyes:

It seems to be the body language. I'm in the country so we often meet dogs - no people involved, just wandering dogs - on our morning walks. If the dog is relatively still, Violet approaches him/her in her "herding crouch." If the dog is running towards us, she drops into her "down." She never growls or looks mean - just very alert.

I don't know what would happen next, because the dog in question always runs away at that point and since Violet's on a leash she can't give chase.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any idea why? My theory is possibly the other dogs are frightened because they've never seen a dog act that way before.

What do y'all think?

Y'know, I hadn't thought about the eye contact, but I bet other dogs do interpret that as aggression. Thanks!

I usually don't mind it, since it saves me run-ins with potential trouble-makers. But today we saw the cutest little redbone hound puppy, about ten or twelve weeks old. He looked so lost :D and I tried to call him over. He seemed like he really wanted to come, but couldn't work up his nerve to approach Violet. So he finally just sat down and howled. :D I went back to look for him later but he was was nowhere in sight. I'll try again tonite and leave the "big bad BC" at home. :rolleyes:

I think it's the eye, mostly. Lilly is fine with Jack, our bc mix, at home. He doesn't have much eye. But there's a border collie on our flyball team, with lots of eye and herding instinct, and that dog can stop her dead in her tracks with just a look!

I think it's the eye and body language, which is different from other breeds. Other dogs find it threatening.

Some years ago, when I would take Pete to shows, all we had to do was walk by the obedience area where the dogs were crated. The entire row of crates would come alive with barking dogs. Blue-eyed Pete, with an almost lupine gait, upset a lot of non border collies in his day. My other border collies do as well. When we walk into a dog park, a couple of my bc's walk with head down. observing the other dogs, who usually raise their hackles and bark.

Walk past a group of border collies, they don't even blink. If anything, they know their own kind---they know their kin.

The bc crosses I've had, have never elicited such strong reactions.

It is very interesting to see Borders interact with other dogs. They certainly give out and perceive signals that I can't understand. Ruby is all excitement and puppy-like playfulness, and other dogs mostly like her unless she is too boisterous for them.

Meg is very different. She sometimes crouches and stares at dogs, which sometimes makes them defensively agressive. Other times, they don't mind her Border stuff and they can make friends. Meg makes friends more easily with Border size and under, but she has enjoyed meeting a Dachshund and a Rat Terrier at the park.

The funny thing is that all the "I'm a predator" Border Collie stuff is all an act. Poor Meg has no bite and was hurt badly by our ADHD Bouvier bitch. We have to keep the Bouv away from both of our Borders.

Lol my dog seems to be a bit opposite - Maggie is more tense around dogs that stare at her rather than the other way around.

One thing I have noticed tho: A lot of dogs don't know how to interpret Maggie's ankle nipping in play or "stiffness to playbow in a split second" behavior; it has caused a few problems, but then again it means Maggie plays with all the dogs no one else plays with because they play too hard. :rolleyes:

I had a cat like that, terrorized every animal in the neighborhood without ever touching them. I think animals must be able to "smell" those who are likely to kick their you-know-what if they don't tow the line. It would make sense, you are a lot safer if you know who you should best avoid! He was sweet as pie with cats he knew and with people he knew.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of border collies don't care for Boxer dogs? I think it's the sheer up and downedness of the breed, with their erect front and stiff looking structure - they appear to be challenging other dogs. My oldest dog looks like a hairy boxer when he thinks he might like to fight someone, same stance. My dogs all hate Boxer dogs and I think this is why.

Regarding the boxer thing---while I think what Mr Snappy said is true, I've always thought it was the other way around, that boxers don't like bc's---for whatever reason. It was on another list that this was mentioned and I thought it was an interesting comment. That weekend, I took some of the dogs to a dog park and a couple of boxers jumped my Maggie dog, who is an intense, workaholoic type dog. This was out of the blue when we first came in and she never got a chance to even notice the boxers, but they apparently noticed her distintive border collie body language.

It's interesting that this border collie/boxer question comes up occasionally from seemingly unrelated sources.

It's funny, Madison has the opposite problem with stray cats! It might have alot more to do with the fact she's lived with two kittens since she was very young (she wuvs the kitties!), but walking around with her at night she will approach stray cats & they won't run away! It always worries me because I don't know if these cats have rabies or anything but they don't seem to mind the fact she's a dog until she tries to play with them (and then they usually take off).

I guess they just see her as a big cat...

Madi doesn't have problems with other dogs yet, but she's still young and her herding instincts are really starting to come out. I've noticed madison & her buddy are starting to play a little less as she ages - I think her friend just doesn't like it too much when madison decideds to try and herd her :

Nes.

Hannah really doesn't like boxers either. Even right from day one she didn't like one of the vet's boxer puppies. She would always give the boxer the evil eye and get all slinky etc when the boxer was around. I dont think she likes how bouncy/exuberant they tend to be. This same boxer she bit right on the nose the last time she saw her.

I don't think Bandit is scared of Boxers or any other breed. Boxers and some of the other powerful looking dogs make me a little nervous if they want to roughhouse with Bandit. Bandit enjoys it.

I don't go to dog park hardly ever any more. Bandit gets enough dog socializing off and on lease at Beach, state park, etc.

Oreo's a mix, so she doesn't usually have that typical BC stance unless she's herding the cats. But her personality is such that she warns dogs to stay away, and they usually do. She can get very grumpy with annoying dogs. so does she scare other dogs? Yes, frequently. But not at first sight. :rolleyes:

No one is afraid of Zoe. But it's hard to be afraid of a dog whose plastering herself to the floor and trying to sink into oblivion...