BC Boards

more questions... sorry.....

So I have got Luke now that he is about 99.9 % solid on his re-call.... which is AWESOME..... BUT....he's a smart bugger and this is what he thinks is a GOOD idea... I let him go free (15 acres and I never let him out of my site, usually tied to me with a 30 foot line) anyway, when I let him free he has figured out that to get a treat he needs to be re-called, so he runs and keeps looking over his shoulder and stops and looks and if it don't work he continues on untill I re-call and he gets his treat... So.... here is the question, when he does that should I not re-call (duhh) and just follow him step on his long leash and take him back to where I was???? In the house I can't get rid of him he follows me everywhere and thats how I want him outside in the "big yard" I have horses and cattle other dogs, traffic, I want him to learn to STAY with me period, how can i get that to happen???? He wants to be with me, but he thinks now that bad behavior then the correction mean treat... It is just starting so help! then I can maybe nip it in the bud!

Thanks a bunch! Luke and Abbys Mom

The easiest way would be to use the behaviour he's already doing in the house, which is following you around and periodically say 'with me' or similiar, pointing next to you. Then you say, 'oh good boy' and treat him for it (he should already be either behind or next to you). Eventually he'll know where he should position himself when you say with me.

After a while, when you go outside with him, hold the longline short, start walking, say with me. If he gets ahead of you, stop walking and point next to you saying 'with me'. He might look puzzled and you can say 'right here' or similar (just not 'with me' again). You can even offer a treat - then you do the good boy dance and move on. Repeat. He will get the picture pretty quick, cuz you aren't gonna move til he gets near you.

I don't mean for this to be an obedience 'heel' but somewhere near the side of you. I taught my GSD/Chow this by taking the trash cans to my curb some 100 ft away. She would get ahead and I'd just wait and ask her back. Then we'd step again, repeat. Only took a few weeks of trash taking.

In agility, River learned with me cuz I was the autodispensing treat machine to keep her attention on me. As she watched me for more treats as we kept walking around in class, I would say 'with me' - she learned that way.

Hope that helps you get started

If you have 15 acres, why does he have to stay with you? Our BCs run out about 20-30 feet, check in and run out again. If we call them, they come. The funniest thing that ever happened was at a Northern Michigan winery; the owner said it was fine to let our dogs run, so we let them out of the truck. They took off over a hill and the owner wondered if they'd come back. The words were hardly out of her mouth before they were all back at the truck.

Barb S

I want him to be a working dog, (I will need him focused on me and eventually the livestock we work) and on 15 acres there is just too much for him to get into. The property line is not fenced I don't want him at the neighbors. I don't mind 20 or 30 feet, I just don't want him taking off to check things out on his own. I want him to learn to be with me at all times.

Luke and Abbys Mom

The trick is (I believe), that it's OK for pup to do whatever, but if you move away he should come with you. You teach that by going in a lot of different directions, changing directions a lot, stopping suddenly and backing up. If he doesn't immediately come with you, you can say, "ah, ah!" and keep going. If he's on the line, use it to limit how far he can keep getting away but don't use it drag him back. He needs to come back on his own.

Also, use a random recall when you're walking around and he's busy with something. Walk away and call him - he'll remember that he's supposed to stay with you, so your motion away will reinforce the recall command.

If he is really bull headed about it, you can walk him down, growl, or give him a little scruff (he will be a working dog, so it's not out of place to teach him to "give" to a little correction). Don't do them all, don't drag it out, don't get excited, and above all, when you've made your point, leave him! Give him a chance to do it right. Walk away and call him again exactly the same way.

When he starts back keep repeating the recall in a really happy voice, patting your leg. Don't lure him with treats. You can reward him when he's come all the way to you, but it's really not necessary - just something fun to do to make it a game for you and your pup. But there will be times very soon when it is not a game, so it's good to mix it up and raise the stakes now while your pup is still in the "Mom is a God" stage. :rolleyes:

To me, that is one of the probs of teaching obedience with treats. For tricks it is fine, but IMO, obedience needs to be something they do because it is expected of them. If you are planning on working this dog it is going to be very difficult to finish a run when you have to give out a treat when he does an outrun correctly, and a fetch, and a pen, etc. etc.. So, I would break him of the treats for obedience now. If he's in the house and rolls over, give him a treat. But if you are outside with him, he needs to learn what is work and what is not. And work cannot be rewarded with treats. Good luck!