BC Boards

weave poles

• 1 year later...

You can buy nice ones on ebay pretty reasonable. I opted to make my own and it only cost $10 for a set of 6.

2 sections of 10ft 3/4 PVC. Ask the guys at Lowes to cut it for you into 6 pieces 36" (3ft) long. (3 poles per section w/ 1 ft left over) $1.85/section

6 end caps - (3 for the top and 3 for the bottom) .29 each

6 2 1/4" sheet metal screws - 4 per pack at .99/pack

take 3 of the end caps and drills holes in the center just large enough for the screws to slide through and tighten into place with the nut. Tap all the end caps on and you've got weave poles!

Weaves are 20" apart on center. You can take a strip of material and mark it out so you don't have to measure each time you move them. Just lay the material on the ground and tap the poles in place next to the mark.

I'm working on some jumps now and have the plans all worked out. Just have to wait until I get paid to get the supplies :rolleyes:

I bought some already made like that. It only cost me $10. I thought it was a pretty good deal that I didn't have to do any "man work". I'm really leery of teaching the weaves myself. I think I will leave that up to an expert. The other ones I've done pretty good on, but I think it's the weaves and no faults that gets you first place.

Just a quick note that the specs are changing. instead of 20" spacing between poles some organizations (although all are looking into it I believe...) are now using 24" spacing instead.

Thanks! That's good to know. I do NADAC and they are still 20", but I'm looking at jumping into some other organizations for convienience. Is it hard to get the dogs to change to the 24" distance? Lucia finally has a solid weave and now it may need to be changed :rolleyes:

NADAC has now changed to allow 24" (they are not required yet...).

for the dogs it is WAY easy to change from 20", 21" to 24". The dogs love it. They get to stretch out more and not bend their spines so much (so it is safer for them). They also can get lower down and drive through much faster. The only hard change is going from 24" back to 20". Be careful of that - if the dogs go at it too fast they are likely to smash into the poles not expecting the shorter spacing.

I gotta say though, I put Dazzle on some 24"ers and she loved them! I just practice on a shorter spacing before a trial in case the trial is still be using the older, smaller sets.

NADAC has now changed to allow 24" (they are not required yet...).

Just to be clear, here is the very latest word on this from NADAC:

Last year, NADAC approved the use of weave poles to 22". This year we will

"allow" the use of weave poles up to 24". No sets of poles may be spaced

less than 20", and weave poles that are 21-22" are encouraged and recommended.

If I practiced weaves at 22", how would it affect the dog during trials if they set weaves ta 20" or 24"? Since I'm not sure where I'll be trialing next summer, I'm not sure what to practice at now. I made the stick in the ground type weave poles, so changing the distance on them is no biggie

This was a good info thread :rolleyes:

So does anyone know if USDAA changed their specs? Although I guess it's a moot point since we're doing USDAA this weekend so if they have changed the specs, there's not much we can do about it now. :rolleyes: Either way, I'm sure she'll be fine, though I can't imagine how much higher Wick will hold her head with wider spacing. This may make for good photo opportunities!

Interesting that some organizations are or are considering changing to 24". Guess we've been spoilt here - at least with the organization I trial in here in Oz, they've always been 600mm (roughly 24" - actually 23.6 inches :rolleyes: ). I'd certainly think it would be easier to train narrower and then the dog would stretch out naturally in wider. I'd hate to have to be doing 20" - but I guess it's what you're used to. If you guys do go to 24", I think you'll love the weaving you get, and as has been pointed out, it's got to be less stressful for the dogs.

You can see zenotri's pic of my 19.29" bitch weaving our weavers on this thread Kirra weaving - as you can see, she has room to stretch out some, but they're still close enough to require a weaving motion.

So does anyone know if USDAA changed their specs? !

What? USDAA change something???? When has that ever happened???????

All I know is what it says about weave poles on the USDAA website right this very minute:

Number: minimum 5; maximum 12, with poles minimum 3' height and diameter of approximately 1"; minimum of 10 required in standard agility and performance titling classes.

Spacing: 18" - 21", with base not to exceed 3.5" in width and 1" in height

Have fun at the trial. Nothing but glare ice on the ground around here these days, and it will probably stay that way for some time to come. :rolleyes:

What? USDAA change something???? When has that ever happened???????

Well, IIRC, the a-frame dropped last year, from 6'3" to about 5'11". And I believe they added a broad jump to Steeplechase. :rolleyes: Call me crazy, but I *like* an organization that doesn't change bi-monthly. And speaking of which, where did the teeter go in NADAC? That was so funny, running TNG without the teeter.

Thanks for the info on the weave poles. And luckily, it's indoors, at doggy heaven (aka Argus Ranch). Road trip! Road trip! GPS! GPS!

And speaking of which, where did the teeter go in NADAC? That was so funny, running TNG without the teeter.

Better get used to life without the teeter in NADAC. It is going to be gone all through 2008 - at least. And no more required distance test in regular, and now the option of a 15 point OR 20 point bonus lines, and the whole Hoopers thing.... The list just goes on and on and on. :rolleyes:

Better get used to life without the teeter in NADAC. It is going to be gone all through 2008 - at least. And no more required distance test in regular, and now the option of a 15 point OR 20 point bonus lines, and the whole Hoopers thing.... The list just goes on and on and on. :rolleyes:

Well, I can't say I'm sad about the distance test being gone. I don't believe in gamblers. :D And since we do one NADAC trial a year, it only means one trial without the teeter. Do you think they will bring it back? Will they replace it with a hoop? And why did they toast it anyways? I know that some people thought it was "dangerous", but I can't remember why the teeter was dangerous and the other things weren't.

Are you going to the trial this weekend? USDAA, Red Hot Rovers at Argus Ranch? I'd love to see Dazzle in person!

Well, I can't say I'm sad about the distance test being gone. I don't believe in gamblers. :rolleyes: And since we do one NADAC trial a year, it only means one trial without the teeter. Do you think they will bring it back? Will they replace it with a hoop? And why did they toast it anyways? I know that some people thought it was "dangerous", but I can't remember why the teeter was dangerous and the other things weren't.

Are you going to the trial this weekend? USDAA, Red Hot Rovers at Argus Ranch? I'd love to see Dazzle in person!

The reason is that because speed so so important in NADAC that the teeter performance criteria people were mainaly training for was the racing to the end of the teeter and riding it down, which creates a lot of impact on the dog's body, and the thinking was that is not safe for the dogs. BUT, that is training issue, and when I brought that up in the NADAC list, and that perhaps if speed wasn't so stressed in NADAC, people would opt to train the teeter differently, Sharon had a freakout on me.

Quite honestly, I have just had it with NADAC over the last couple of years, Sharon keeps changing the rules etc month in and month out, so I have decided to take a break. It's really too bad, as I used to really enjoy NADAC and the courses. There used to be handling involved in their courses, now it is just straight speed.

In the last 3 years, most of the Elite Standard and Jumpers Courses have been basically the same as the Novice courses, just times are different. The only handling challenge left in NADAC now is the old fashioned tunnel/contact challenge, which is no challenge at all, however all the NADAC dogs seem to have real trouble with it. I think Weavers and Touch N Go are great for proofing weaves and two of the contacts now, since the teeter is evil, but I just see no challenge in NADAC anymore. Even the NADAC Judges that I know really well as judges and fellow competitors say that the courses have really been dumbed down over the last few years. I really noticed this change starting about 5 years ago.

Our Club used to offer AAC and NADAC trials each year, and dropped the NADAC about 5 years ago, because of all of Sharon's changes, and we can't afford to keep two sets of contact equipment, etc.

You can't even comment about the courses that you run either, because the Judges don't design their own courses anymore. They pick them out of a book of compiled courses. So, you can't compliment a Judge on their courses, and you can't decide you don't like a particular Judge's course design and don't want to run under them, because they aren't their courses, so you don't know what is going to show up the next time they judge.

I'm sorry to know all that about NADAC, they haven't been around in my area of Florida for all that long and I used to enjoy them. Then they started with changing so much I got confused so just ran my dog and didn't worry about it since it was only a few trials a year. I'm definitely not an AKC fan so NADAC was a good choice with USDAA. Guess I'll have to look into CPE.

Suzanne

I'm sorry to know all that about NADAC, they haven't been around in my area of Florida for all that long and I used to enjoy them. Then they started with changing so much I got confused so just ran my dog and didn't worry about it since it was only a few trials a year. I'm definitely not an AKC fan so NADAC was a good choice with USDAA. Guess I'll have to look into CPE.

Suzanne

Hey, there is nothing wrong with playing in NADAC, and I still tell people starting out in agility to do NADAC trials. I have lots of good agility friends that I only get ti see at NADAC trials. I am old enough (creak, creak) to have been around when NADAC was first founded, so I have seen all the changes over those many many many.............years , and it is just not the same for me anymore. That doesn't mean I have quit doing NADAC, just taking a break.

Sorry to get off topic real quick....

Um, well, we are in the trial - although I doubt I will be running. I took a bad fall rock climbing last night and something is seriously wrong with my knee (soft tissue issue - can't put any weight on it and I don't think our distance is THAT good). However I might see if some other people will run her because I would hate to scratch...there are so few USDAA that are close to us. But she has never tried to run for anyone before so I don't know if I will try that or not. Depending on how I feel and what the Doc says tomorrow I might do our Standard run in Starters - but it all depends. :D I am really bummed right now though - I was looking forward to this trial. :rolleyes:

The reason is that because speed so so important in NADAC that the teeter performance criteria people were mainly training for was the racing to the end of the teeter and riding it down, which creates a lot of impact on the dog's body, and the thinking was that is not safe for the dogs.

Got it. At the trial in Nanaimo, Anderson had a lot of fun with me re: planning our approach to the teeter in TNG. :D I guess I was the only one who didn't know that the teeter had been removed, so when she was going on and on about how "light" the teeter was, and how I should cue my dog to add a stride, I thought she was serious! I am a bit thick, I have no trouble admitting that.

Still, I think NADAC has a lot of good things going for it. I think it's a great place to debut your baby dogs, and to train your should-know-better-but-they-don't experienced dogs. I also think it lets you be successful Q-wise (if that's your goal) because of the easier courses and more lenient rules, At least I think the rules are lenient. Maybe not, maybe they've changed them. It's so hard to keep track. :rolleyes:

Kat, that really sucks about your knee. Be careful with soft tissue injuries - they can cause a lot of problems down the road if you don't let them heal up properly <rubs arthritic knee>. But if you do go, we're in Starters Standard too so I'm sure we'll see you in the 22" class!

To the OP: very sorry about the hijacking of the thread. For our first set of poles, I used electric fence step-in poles and put 2" PVC over top. I could make channels, I could just off-set the entry, change the spacing, etc. and they were very easy to store. The downside is that I learned that you shouldn't grab fibreglass poles with your bare hands. Man, those slivers were hard to get out!

To the OP: very sorry about the hijacking of the thread. For our first set of poles, I used electric fence step-in poles and put 2" PVC over top. I could make channels, I could just off-set the entry, change the spacing, etc. and they were very easy to store. The downside is that I learned that you shouldn't grab fibreglass poles with your bare hands. Man, those slivers were hard to get out!

I find those are the best and cheapest way to set up weave poles in my yard, but I got even cheaper and just put shower curtain rod covers over them, and then I got really cheap and lazy and didn't bother putting anything over them. For my dogs it didn't make a difference, but I don't know if that would throw other dogs off going from them to actual weave poles. I hate wearing gloves to do anything, so I hear you on the fiberglass slivers. :rolleyes:

Those step in poles are fine unless you have a big, hard driving dog. We used sections of rebar hammered into the ground with pvc on top and depending on how soft the ground was, I'd have to move my poles every few sessions.

We built pvc poles and staked them down with U shapes spikes but he bent those ones too. Eventually I bought "real" weave poles although I'm now stuck with my 21" spacing.

My big dog does way better on 24" spacing, and I don't see a huge difference with my small (50lb) dog as far as speed goes. She single strides 18-21" poles and bounces 24" poles.

I am sorry the teeter is not in NADAC - that was the one contact in TNG that Chester always touched...his walk was always too much go :rolleyes: