BC Boards

Pip Squeak is going to check out sheep!

Pip Squeak and I are headed to Possum Hollow Farm in Rutherfordton, NC today. Vicki Hughes is doing a clinic and Pip is going to have her first time on stock! We are both very excited. Stay tuned for updates.

Lisa

PS - If she passes her herding instinct test, should I breed her? She IS a mini border collie with unique blue roan coloration. The sport people would love her .

I've got the scoop! Pip was wonderful, interested in the sheep, and did some nice "first-timer" work. Lisa is thrilled!

You understand that Lisa has been trying to get a Border Collie since she lost Rocket (our old cattle-working Border Collie) to old age (15 1/2) and Jack (her youngster). In doing so, she's adopted and provided a loving home to Nellie (who was supposed to be a Border Collie-type puppy but has turned out to be primarily ACD), Ben (who was supposed to be a Border Collie but is hopefully part Aussie - and part Springer Spaniel, maybe?), and now Pip Squeak (who is definitely half Border Collie - because we met her mother - and part ACD).

All Lisa's dogs (and cats) are rescues from shelters, etc. I couldn't be prouder of her for taking them in and giving them a loving, forever (if somewhat chaotic) home. She has a teeny-tiny one-room basement apartment and a huge heart. She and they are, to say the least, a "close" family unit.

Yep, Pip did really well. She was VERY interested in the sheep and moved them around nicely. She wanted to go counter-clockwise but also went clockwise with a little pressure. Her second time in the round pen she did a little baby outrun to get behind her sheep and bring them away from the fence. She barked (she's part ACD) but not too much. She got a little distracted during the second session but came back around to working the sheep again.

Pip was a little monster between sessions though. There were other dogs out there moving her sheep! I think she'll be staying in the car between sessions for a while.

She got lots of compliments and everybody was impressed with how well she started, especially because she's a rescue. Anyway, we had a great time and we'll be going back.

Lisa

Congratulations! I can only imagine how great of a day this has been for you!

As far as breeding, since she's obviously an awesome herding dog, I think the only thing you have to worry about now are her ears. Would you like to borrow my glue? No guarantees though. Boy's ears still hang. :rolleyes:

That sounds like fun!!

Speedy just started, too - just this past Tuesday! I wanted to post about it, but I can't really describe what it was like at all!! I'm not usually at a loss for words, but for the life of me, I can't explain what it was like watching Speedy start to work with sheep!!

From your description, though, his experience was very similar to Pip's! He was even anxious to get back in there between sessions, too!! He only wanted to go clockwise, though!! We never did get him to go counter-clockwise that time!! Speedy also did some barking.

I hope it continues to go well for you and Pip! I'm interested in hearing about her progress!

Congrats!!

We're going herding too, on the easter weekend! I'm extremely curious about what she will do...look at me and say: "Those are not cats!" ?

Congrats on starting Pip, Lisa! Sounds like you both had fun! :D

Kristine, congrats on starting Speedy! Sounds like you both had just as much fun as Pip and Lisa! :D

Sandra, I can hardly wait to hear about your little girl's first time out! You'll love it!

Starting dogs/pups is the best! I love watching the newbies!

We also started my pup, Rev, last Sat. and I still cannot figure out how to post the video. :rolleyes:

Katelynn

Kristine - I don't know where in PA you are but there is a Jack Knox clinic this Friday through Sunday down by Leesburg VA. I believe it's filled with dog/handler pairs but auditors may still be able to sign up and attend.

It would be well worth it if you could go. Jack is a great clinician, spends a lot of time addressing the "congregation", and it's a terrific learning experience even if you can't bring a dog.

You can get more info from Bob Vannoy at 703-818-3421 or bob.vannoy@qwest.com or box4bbc@aol.com. A number of folks from these boards will be there.

PS - Where did you find a trainer in PA? My friend and I are in North-Central WV and go about three hours to Berryville VA for training with Susan Rhoades. We enjoy her and she does all breeds, which works well for us because my friend has a working-bred Aussie.

Rachel - Glad you found the leash you needed. A "chewable" one just doesn't work for tying up when the temptation is great! See you sometime in the future, I hope!

Sandra S. - Let us know how you both do. Who (in Germany, I assume - there are some great handlers there) are you going to train with? We'll all be cheering you on in spirit from afar!

Sue, thanks for the heads up on that. Unfortunately I'm booked solid this weekend, but that sort of thing might be something to consider in the future.

Speedy and I are training in Carlisle, PA, which is very close to home for us. I met her through Speedy's Rally-O teacher.

I know some folks in the Carlisle area and, if she is one of them, I think you'll be very happy. If not, I still hope you'll be very happy!

Sue Asten, Deb Mickey, and Sherry Shelden are the bunch of sweet sheepdog ladies in the Carlisle area that I know. I hope you have the chance to meet them. They are wonderfully welcoming and friendly. They have sheep, too.

Kristine - I wondered if it was Sue or Deb! I envy you as I just LOVE Sue (and Deb and Sherry) and I wish I could spend time training and talking dogs with them. I think you will have a fabulous time.

Those three ladies are as nice as can be (ask about ham sandwiches and campers with heat in November in southern VA, among other things) and I'm jealous of you now!

Originally posted by Sue R:

Sandra S. - Let us know how you both do. Who (in Germany, I assume - there are some great handlers there) are you going to train with? We'll all be cheering you on in spirit from afar!

It's a four-day thing, the first and last days someone from the farm will do some training, and the second and third day a guy called Rudi Roth (anyone know him?) will do some more professional training.

We can take Kessie for a first sniff (or taste?) of wool on the first day, to see if she's interested at all, and if she is we'll do the whole four days.

You guys better be cheering us on - whose fault do you think this is? :rolleyes:

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this!

At the very least we'll meet some border collies. There aren't any round here and she's such a horrible little racist :rolleyes: .