BC Boards

White-headed dogs

Blackdawgs

It's been my experience that the white headed dogs do have a bit of a harder time with vision in full sun. Not horribly so, noticeable but subtle. They also will sunburn more easily, just like pale skinned humans.

Do make sure ALL the pups are hearing tested prior to sale.

My first border collie was almost all white and had red ears. The only problem that she had was that her nose was mottled, pink and black, and the pink part tended to sunburn. We lived on the beach in Mexico and were in the sun constantly, so I actually took a magic marker and colored in the pink parts of her nose so that they were black. Prior to my doing that, her nose would burn and crack and bleed and I was worried she would get skin cancer. Once I started coloring her nose it became moist and normal. Probably the ink wasn't the best thing. But I figured better than the alternative in that case.

Just my preference, but if I were deciding between two puppies, all else being equal (which of course it never really is), I would choose the one that had the black nose over the one with a mottled nose. Although sometimes a mottled nose in a pup will turn out to be all black in the adult so you can't be certain.

Well, being a fair skinned, light haired and light eyed person, I do find vision in full sunlight a bit diminished as compared to softer light. I've seen my white headed dog squint a bit in bright light. He still finds his sheep, though I know he air scents too.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Australia (admittedly in one of the cooler areas) and have never noticed any particular issues with my boy Oscar. He has a white head, black ears and one blue eye. I do use doggy sunscreen on his muzzle when we will be outside a lot but I do on all my dogs who have white muzzles.

post-14654-0-71055600-1474933171_thumb.jpgpost-14654-0-20072400-1474933717_thumb.jpg

A factor in what?

Yes, it would be a factor in susceptibility to sunburn, but I'm not so sure it would affect light sensitivity in any way.

In regards to sensitivity in sunlight. I've seen a few who need to wear special sunglasses on sunny days. The way the light gets filtered or something is what I've read before. I could definitely be wrong. It's like when athletes where eye black.