BC Boards

Come Bye Border Collie Rescue

This whole experience makes me what to be a part of a rescue. I'm thinking that once we calm down from all this excitement and settle in, I'm going to reach out to Buckeye to see if I can help in any way.

We can't foster a dog since we'll be at beast capacity but I'm sure they need volunteers for something, even if it's processing paperwork!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like they can use help in a variety of ways that doesn't involve transporting. Data entry, making phone calls, transporting dogs, etc. I did the latter for a few years (and still do it on occasion) and it was so much fun. I met so many dogs (including my first dog, who I fell in love with on transport and immediately put in an application to adopt her).

http://www.comebyebcrescue.org/info/display?PageID=7083

Oh, she's sweet! Congratulations.

I do hope you give her a chance with positive reinforcement training instead of going straight to the shock collar.I think she deserves a fair shot at learning without punishment to see how it goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

ETA: Volunteering with a rescue can be very rewarding. And there are lots of things that need to be done that don't involve fostering. Having volunteers who can do those other things frees up the people who can foster so they can devote more attention to the dogs, so offering to do some of those things is a really important piece of the whole process.

Oh absolutely. We're going to work on house training first (she's not house broken at all but she's making good progress) and her indicators are super quiet and meek. She's such a sweetie and a total cuddle bug. AND SHE SEEMS LIKE SHE'S TREAT DRIVEN, YESSSSS! I'm hoping that sticks and it's not just because she's so hungry. Poor baby's had an upset tummy the last few days so we're seeing the vet ASAP even though I think it's just stress/change in everything she's ever known.

We've worked on "sit" a little bit and she's too wired to focus well but I got a few sporadic sits. Our primary objective is to make sure that Cal gets comfortable with her (they're well on their way and Panda already thinks she's Cal's bestie). Calypso is currently sleeping next to Panda's crate, with her nose pressed to it since Cal is never crated but until she's reliable, Panda will be.

We're going to bond, cuddle, and do some at-home training for a good long time before we even consider a collar. Her personality is really starting to come out already, but it'll be weeks before we see the real Panda I'm sure. I know how rescue dogs go and how long it can take to really come out of their shell!

Oh, she's sweet! Congratulations.

I do hope you give her a chance with positive reinforcement training instead of going straight to the shock collar.I think she deserves a fair shot at learning without punishment to see how it goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

ETA: Volunteering with a rescue can be very rewarding. And there are lots of things that need to be done that don't involve fostering. Having volunteers who can do those other things frees up the people who can foster so they can devote more attention to the dogs, so offering to do some of those things is a really important piece of the whole process.

For clarification: Panda is crated ONLY because we're not home. We have a camera set up in the living room to spy on Callie and now Panda too! She's been hanging out with us when we're at home and only gets crated at night (with a 4 am walk for relieving herself, she does whimper at night for going out, she's SO good!) and when we're not home.

She's not house broken, but she is excellently crate trained. I guess that's the benefit of being fostered at a boarding/training facility over someone's home even if the cost is lack of house training.

By the way, if anyone is in Northern Indiana and looking for a really beautiful facility for boarding and/or training with a really wonderful staff and owner, message me for Panda's foster's business info. It was a HUGE place and they had all new stuff for them to play with and from what I saw of the rooming facilities, everything's very fancy and nice. Plus, all the girls who work there were totally in love with animals and it was very clear they're good caretakers!

Congratulations on your new pup. she's pretty cute.

Really glad to heat that you are going to give positive reinforcement training a go. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish, and especially at how fast a border collie will learn things with positive reinforcement! These dogs are absolutely designed to learn by this kind of conditioning.

I told her "sit!" out of habit today and her butt hit the floor so fast. Apparently she did absorb some training the last few days. She's such a good baby.

And Callie's officially in love with her baby sister. She makes sure Panda is following on walks and goes to get her if she's not, she bumps her back when Panda walks into her, and she's been trying to wrestle/play with Panda even though the little one just falls down, paws up, every time so far. Panda also pounced on Cal's tail/rump this morning and Cal growled at her initially and then immediately touched noses.

Is touching noses a dog thing? What does it mean? OMG they're so unbelievably cute together, I could burst from joy knowing that we made such a good decision bringing little Pandora home!

They keep touching noses! My husband got a screen shot while looking at our camera this morning. Cal was leaning down to Panda and Panda was reaching up to Cal from laying down in the crate and they were sniffing/touching noses. Then Cal laid right now next to her.

Instead of her usual perch on the couch, Cal's been on the floor near Panda all day!

Guys...This dog has no off button. Where's the off button?

She's definitely a full border collie. She's got Cal exhausted because they play so hard. Cal looooves having someone to be the boss of and at the same time she's such a big sister dog.

She makes sure Pan is following on walks, runs over when she falls off the couch (are all BC pups so reckless and bouncy?) and came to get me in a barking frenzy like Lassie when Panda almost hung herself from our kitchen/family room railing (apparently she can fit in between the railings by squeezing her shoulders but panicked trying to get out and it drops off into the family room...we blocked it off until she's bigger and can't fit).

But really, where's that off button hiding?!

^^ And then you quietly praise that nap or any other down times so she learns that these times are desirable behavior. ;)

Exactly. I do this with young dogs by having lots of tiny treats in my pocket and when the dog is lying quietly at my feet I pass a little treat down very quietly every minute or so, with a quiet praise and/or a little stroke on the head. If at an event and the dog is in the crate or X-pen, same thing. Lots of tiny treats as long as the dog is being quiet.

She's learning a lot of really nice behaviors from Calypso. It's like she looks over at her and Cal is getting praised for being so calm and then she's doing the same to get the same praise.

It's really cute. She always looks at Cal for cues. Is that typical in puppy behaviors? I've never had two dogs at once living in the same household before!!!

And the constant nose touching is continuing too. They bump noses all the time still!

Exactly. I do this with young dogs by having lots of tiny treats in my pocket and when the dog is lying quietly at my feet I pass a little treat down very quietly every minute or so, with a quiet praise and/or a little stroke on the head. If at an event and the dog is in the crate or X-pen, same thing. Lots of tiny treats as long as the dog is being quiet.

She always looks at Cal for cues. Is that typical in puppy behaviors?

I don't know if it's typical, but it's I don't think it's terribly unusual. I've had two puppies who have done it, though I've had more who have not.

That's not to say that puppies don't learn from the older dogs around them. I think they definitely do all the time, just not necessarily the things we'd wish them to learn that can take the place of our training manners.

I had one pup who learned all his basic household manners behaviors (sit, lie down, go to your blanket, come) by watching and imitating the other dogs. He was truly amazingly brilliant. He also watched TV and knew what he was watching, even having favorite programs and favorite episodes of programs!

Another pup learned several useful things from observing my other dogs responding to cues I'd given them, though he also needed some help with some of them and other training with other cues. But he was impressively smarter than average (border collie average) as well.

Dogs like that can be a true joy to work and live with. Have fun with her.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoo! I'm officially a rescue volunteer and processing my first PA. :)

It's an equally slow process on this end of things too, but nice to know that I can help a dog go to a great home.

Our girl is settled in nicely. She's insane, hyperactive, and brings out the worst in Callie. And Cal ADORES her now.

They constantly touch noses and they've started grooming each other. Panda even laid directly on top of Cal the other night and Cal didn't growl. She just gave her a look like "wtf are you doing, brat?" and laid back down.

Cal also goes up and bites Panda's ears when she wants to play. To reciprocate, Panda bites Cal's scruff and throat HARD, and then Cal lays her out with a headlock. It's a very disturbing version of sibling wrestling but they both seem to enjoy it and they actually take turns being the aggressor, so all's well.

The guarding is still an issue if we don't watch closely, but separating them to eat is working out great. I guess we can just avoid the issue altogether!

The guarding is still an issue if we don't watch closely, but separating them to eat is working out great. I guess we can just avoid the issue altogether!

You have a young child, no? "Avoiding the issue" could lead to some nasty consequences if you're not proactive about working with this now, before it's an ingrained behavior that could easily spill over to small people in the household.

Congrats on the rescue volunteerism. What's a PA?