BC Boards

Sock chewing

Speedy used to do that. We kept all socks that weren't being worn in places where he couldn't get them, but he did try to chew on them even when they were on our feet!

I don't have any tips, though. We actually didn't train him not to chew on our socks and feet - we just pulled them away when he tried to chew and eventually he stopped trying.

Originally posted by Root Beer:

Speedy used to do that. We kept all socks that weren't being worn in places where he couldn't get them, but he did try to chew on them even when they were on our feet!

Yup, I try to remove as much temptation as reasonable. Obviously, I can't hide my furniture or carpet but clothing, trash, and any easily movable items are kept as much out of reach from puppies as possible. When not on my feet, my shoes were always behind closed doors for a solid 3 years when I had 2 puppies during that time period You can train your pup to "trade" -- give you the sock in exchange for an approved chew toy and keep lots of approved chew toys around for him. I try to give my puppies something "better" (in my opinion anyway) to chew when I'm taking some treasure away.

You could even spray a couple of socks with bitter apple and leave them there for him to find and chew. He may decide socks are yucky. I've never tried that, but it might work.

Kristine's advice is the first line of defense - put them up! After losing three good socks (of course, of three different types), my hubby has finally learned to put his socks somewhere other than the floor. Problem solved. I wonder if he will have to learn about his shoes the hard way?

That said, don't let your pup attack/chew your feet. Liz's suggestion to exchange for something more appealing is a good one, as long as it doesn't become a game of your pup attacking your sock in order to gain your attention or a better toy or treat.

You can use the "growling/uh-uh" or "yipping sharply" reactions to his attack. If they don't work, try taking him by the scruff of his neck and reprimanding with a growl or uh-uh or maybe a little shake if needed. You've probably found that kicking/twitching your foot does nothing to help the situation but rather may just make you a participant in the game and the attack more fun.

You may find wearing shoes/slippers over your socks is effective. Some pups just love foot odor and socks are always an appealing chew. In addition, if your socks contain wool (like ragg socks) that can provide additional appeal.

Best wishes!

Ditto to everything above but it's also a phase that "most" dogs pups grow out of. By the time they're 10 you should be able to trust them! LOL..just kidding!. But chewing something is a phase that all pups go through, one of mine picked bras! He would actually nose through a hamper to find a bra...go figure. Currently we've got a one year old going through the shoe phase so all our shoes are on top of the closet.

Make sure he has something more appropriate to chew on and just keep putting socks out of his reach.

Maria

^^ kyrasmom has a good point, they all go through it just be glad it's not something worse than socks. Brandi chewed through the wall of her kennel, and then a door once. She loves wood for some reason but she never liked socks or shoes or anything. Anyway, the point is socks are much cheaper to replace than a wall good luck

My husband used to leave socks laying around in his office. Kipp would grab them and run off, because my husband would chase him. This was terrific fun for Kipp.

We ended up just putting all socks out of reach or he would steal them all. After he was about 6 months old, he stopped looking for them and stealing them and now we can occasionally leave them out without danger.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Oh yes. Underwear indeed. Panties, to be precise...

Sandra and Jo: Lost precious ones to Ouzo. All Victoria Secret. Plus one super expensive bra. Chewed lil' holes in it as if he was a moth, not a puppy. And pijama bottoms

Somehow he seems to have gotten over this obsession. Either that, or I became more organized, making sure to put up or in the humper any temptations :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Be very, very careful with socks.

I recently visited my vet, and he showed me an x-ray of a dogs stomach that had a sock in the intestion. The doctor said they would most likely have to put the dog down because it would be to dangerous to operate. Due to the high risk of infection to other organs from opening the intestine. And, the dogs quality of life would never be the same if it survived the surgery.

Actually - I think "Sock-ectomies" and "Panty-ectomies" are quite common surgeries for veterinarians these days. Unless the owner waits too long, or the intestines are already ruptured and leaking, there certainly is risk (and major expense!), but I know quite a few dogs who have come through that kind of surgery successfully. That said, I think it's a very bad idea to use any kind of clothing as a toy. I was the proud owner of a $1000 pair of recycled panties (actually my 6 year old daughter's teddy-bear Hanes) a few years back - The dog was 1 year old at the time, and went on to live to the ripe old age of 12 when Lymes disease shut her kidneys down. :rolleyes:

I agree with Laurie. We never ever let the dogs play with clothing or towels when they were little. Nothing we didn't want them to play with later on.

The one exception, now that they are both over a year old, are the tugs made out of fleece. I have a lot of socks, pants, shirts, etc. made of polar fleece. It is my favorite fabric.

The dogs know when something is a tug toy. I make that very clear for them by keeping the clothes out of reach! I never use toys that feel or look like clothes, either.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com