BC Boards

Is it time?

In three weeks, my husband and I will be leaving for a week to attend our daughter's wedding. We will board our two border collies at a place they have stayed 3 other times in the last eight years.

My oldest BC is 15-16 years old. She has trouble going up stairs and has stopped cleaning herself, especially after going out. She chases the frisbee 3-4 times before laying down. Yesterday she didn't eat, but today she did. She still is happy to see us.

I think that boarding her will be way too stressful and that we should put her down before we leave. My husband doesn't agree. We have a vet appointment next week.

What would you do?

We put our 16 year old down in july. She was eaten up with cancer. She wasn't comfortable, walking in circles. Went down hill real fast. Went from, she's old and having trouble getting up to finding cancer to putting her down in about 3 days. All that being said, no one can answer this for you. Prayers...

We made an appointment for Saturday to put down my 16 year old border collie. When your dog has more bad days than good days, that's when I feel it's time. On a calendar put a smile face for the good days, a straight face for the iffy days and a sad face for the bad days. That gives you a good visual.

Thanks for your input! No matter what, I think this decision is only weeks away for us. I know how much she hates change and freaks when we board her. My fear is that she will pass while we are away.

This is my husband's first dog. He is in denial.

I hope our vet can examine her and give us a better idea of what we are looking at.

So sad.

If she were mine, I'd give her a peaceful death before I left. If I left her, I'd be worried the whole time that she was getting more ill and had no one there to do the kindest thing for her.

It's the worst, very most difficult part of having a beloved dog - and it's a heavy responsibility. I take some comfort in the knowledge that this faithful companion is no longer suffering.

I hope you find a peaceful way to make the best decision for your old girl.

Ruth and Gibbs

*If* you both are not decided that it is time, could you possibly get someone to come and stay with your dogs at your house instead of boarding? That way, she can be in her home and her surroundings, and if the person who stays with them (or tends them if they can't stay round the clock) is someone familiar, she will be that much more reassured.

It's a tough choice, no matter what you choose.

I would also suggest a pet sitter.

I wouldn't have put my old gal in a boarding facility in the last year or two of her life. Well, I actually won't put any of my dogs in a boarding facility; I have a pet sitter come to my home. And as a pet sitter myself I can see how much less stressed even young, healthy dogs are at home with a pet sitter than they are in boarding facilities, even very good ones.

It might be a good compromise that your hubby can accept.

If you do decide to go that route, be sure to leave instructions on what you'd want the sitter to do if the dog has a crisis and include a written permission to treat naming the sitter and leaving parameters for what extent of veterinary care is acceptable and perhaps leaving your CC info with the vet. Of course, you can instruct the sitter to try to contact you before going to the vet and/or while making any decisions, but also be aware that this may not be possible.

I hope you can make plans that will be comfortable for all of you.

It is a very difficult situation, and it seems to me it does not add up to a solution that you will feel comfortable with afterwards.

If it were me, seeing that the dog is your husband's, I would talk to the vet together as you say you will, and then leave it up to your husband. We have a multiple dog household and have them divided between us, and that's what I would do.

My vet recommended I stop boarding my old BC as he aged. He said that it was a major stressor and Choco did not do well boarding although I took him to very good places, he always lost weight. I had a neighbor he was use to, come into the house twice a day. I once had to go on a work trip for a week and the dog had been recently injured and on tramadol, but they did fine together. Hopefully the vet can give some guidance. If possible have the husband at the upcoming vet visit too.

It's very hard to tell someone else what they should/shouldn't do, but I will share my experiences.

I've lost several old dogs and looking back some I should have let them go sooner and I still feel terrible about that. I had Wisp put down this May. She had a tumor around her liver and the last trip to the vet showed that the tumor was taking up more space, less room for other organs ect. and making her unconfortable. She still ate, but not as much in one sitting so she had small meals through the day and she enjoyed short walks. I decided that while she was still alert and seamingly happy I would have her put down rather then do it when she was in terrible pain. So I made the appointment for the afternoon and we spent the morning enjoying our last day together and took her for one last walk.

Samantha

If you do try a pet sitter, maybe you could get the sitter (neighbor, friend, relative, whomever) to visit daily for a while beforehand so she can at least be accustomed to that person coming into the house and letting her potty, feeding her, etc.

My daughter kept our old Rocket in his very senior years. They were inseparable. My daughter had to be in school his last day - she made the appointment for the evening and I spent that beautiful early autumn day on a rug in the yard with Rocket. We both enjoyed the sunshine, lots of petting, and being together. He did not enjoy his body shutting down on him.

Rocket had quite the sweet tooth. Lisa would not let anyone go with her and Rocket to the vet office. On the way, she stopped and bought him a chocolate bar and fed it to him in bits and pieces on the trip and at the vet office. Toxic? Who cared? He loved every bite of the forbidden treat from the hand of the person he loved most in the world.

Memories are what we make of them.