BC Boards

Oregon trainers?

Hoping this is ok to post here. I'm looking for a sheepdog trainer in Central Oregon (hopefully not more than an hour from me so that I can work regularly). The list on this site shows Idaho and Washington trainers...I currently do have access to a trainer who trains AKC (She uses German Shepherds on her farm) and she readily admits that she does not have the experience to work a border collie to USBCHA standards. That said, I do feel confident that she can help with the basics given her dogs do work every day and she has many clients who successfully compete in AKC.

Anyhow, the pup I have is 9 months and I would love to give him the opportunity to do his thing....If she is my only option, so be it. Just thought I'd put some feelers out there. He had his first introduction this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised that he found his thinking cap.

Thank you in advance,

To be bluntly honest (and grateful that the trainer you have spoken to has been honest, as well) I would not bother training with someone who is either "all-breed", primarily a different breed (and GSDs are very different in their style from what Border Collies do), or oriented towards AKC (which, in terms of Border Collie work, is really generally watered down from what a real working dog should be capable of doing).

That said, try the Oregon Sheepdog Society website, which includes one page with several trainers listed ( http://www.osds.org/pages/trainers.php ). One of the, Lora Withnell, is someone I am slightly acquainted with but is someone I might suggest you contact. If she can't help you (due to location or whatever) perhaps she can recommend someone who can.

There are also trials listed on the website. Going to a trial is a great way to make connections (especially if you volunteer to help, and usually there are jobs that don't need experience as well as jobs that do). Watch the handlers and dogs. Note those whose relationship with their dog you admire and would like to emulate, and who do well on (and off) the trial field. Introduce yourself and ask around. Listen, and let people you are drawn to know that you are looking for help in training.

Very best wishes and best of luck finding a good trainer/mentor!

To be bluntly honest (and grateful that the trainer you have spoken to has been honest, as well) I would not bother training with someone who is either "all-breed", primarily a different breed (and GSDs are very different in their style from what Border Collies do), or oriented towards AKC (which, in terms of Border Collie work, is really generally watered down from what a real working dog should be capable of doing).

That said, try the Oregon Sheepdog Society website, which includes one page with several trainers listed ( http://www.osds.org/pages/trainers.php ). One of the, Lora Withnell, is someone I am slightly acquainted with but is someone I might suggest you contact. If she can't help you (due to location or whatever) perhaps she can recommend someone who can.

There are also trials listed on the website. Going to a trial is a great way to make connections (especially if you volunteer to help, and usually there are jobs that don't need experience as well as jobs that do). Watch the handlers and dogs. Note those whose relationship with their dog you admire and would like to emulate, and who do well on (and off) the trial field. Introduce yourself and ask around. Listen, and let people you are drawn to know that you are looking for help in training.

Very best wishes and best of luck finding a good trainer/mentor!

Thank you! I did send Lora an email. Hopefully she has some ideas. It may be that my location keeps me from trialing...

I am curious about what you mean when you say "watered down"....just so I can sort out the differences between "all-breed" herding and BC herding.

Definitely check with Lora, Laura and Karen. Even if they can't help your themselves, they know everyone out that way who might help you.

What city are you nearest to? The odds are against a trainer being within an hour of you, but I've learned to be okay with going to a trainer in California that's 2-1/2 to 3 hours from my Nevada home. :)

~ Gloria

Definitely check with Lora, Laura and Karen. Even if they can't help your themselves, they know everyone out that way who might help you.

What city are you nearest to? The odds are against a trainer being within an hour of you, but I've learned to be okay with going to a trainer in California that's 2-1/2 to 3 hours from my Nevada home. :)

~ Gloria

Have messages or emails to them. It is 3 hours to anywhere from here LOL. Except to Karen's - she's an hour :)

Also, Shane Harley is in Bonanza, just under 3 hours from Bend ;-) His email is harleydogs.sh@gmail.com and he also has a Facebook page - just search on Shane Harley.

Keep us posted!

Amy

• 2 months later...

A friend who has been taking lessons from the local all - breed trainer with her BC recently took a private from a very reputable BC trainer who was very impressed with the work that the dog has learned. No bad habits and ready to move forward. I thought it was very considerate of the BC trainer to say that.

Where in Oregon are you? I summer in northwestern Oregon, and it works for me to drive 2.5 hours up to Fido's Farm in Olympia, WA, to practice and for trials. Karen Child is giving lessons there Dec. 8-12. She often gives lessons there, and they get Scott Glen in for clinics from time to time. Karen is great. So is Scott. I think Corinne Berg may do lessons at Fido's also.

Where in Oregon are you? I summer in northwestern Oregon, and it works for me to drive 2.5 hours up to Fido's Farm in Olympia, WA, to practice and for trials. Karen Child is giving lessons there Dec. 8-12. She often gives lessons there, and they get Scott Glen in for clinics from time to time. Karen is great. So is Scott. I think Corinne Berg may do lessons at Fido's also.

Yes, Corinne is at Fido's. I work with her on and off (Fido's is a drive for me) and I enjoy working with her very much.

Yes, Corinne is at Fido's. I work with her on and off (Fido's is a drive for me) and I enjoy working with her very much.

Dave Imas is in that area too. He has a great winter one day clinic series going, this Sunday is the Drive Away clinic.

http://www.catbirdstockdogs.com/

I'm in Central Oregon