BC Boards

Border Collie Compassion

Never have I seen such a compassionate dog until we adopted Peter, our BC mix. Last year, due to negligence at an animal hospital, our golden retriever suffered a stroke. When she finally got to come home, he comforted her, helped her find the door, let us know she needed something. When I couldn't stop my flow of tears, he came up to me when I was sitting on the couch and he gently rested his body against my chest so I would stop hyperventilating.

Now that our golden retriever has cancer, he once again becomes the emotional support we all need. After her first surgery, he laid with her at all times because she so badly needed someone to be with her. When I get upset trying to find ways to pay for her treatment, he comes up to me and asks to be pet. I am so glad because I know that after her next surgery scheduled for Tuesday, he will be there for her.

So as we struggle to come up with funds, and our golden needs comfort, it makes me smile that he is our rock. He is here to make us feel better. It makes me so proud that I adopted such a wonderful dog.

post-18000-0-14312800-1470924508_thumb.jpg

That is sweet. We call our little girl "Nurse Megan" because when one of us is not feeling well, she's likely to be found on the bed just quietly sleeping there and keeping whoever it is company.

The boys are different but I know that they are aware when emotions run high, especially Celt if I am anxious or concerned.

Their willingness to be there and undemanding when we need it most is one of their most endearing traits. That, and that they are always ready to say, "Forget your problems and let's go for a walk or toss a ball!" I'm sure they do that just to get our minds of whatever might be troubling us.

Their willingness to be there and undemanding when we need it most is one of their most endearing traits.

Exactly. When the usually evenly-distributed-all-over-the-house border collies converge quietly near or under the bed :lol: .

He's seriously such a doll. The whole "who rescued who" applies here. Border collies are so much more than what many think they are. In my eyes, they are more human than dog. They are so in tune with us and everyone around them. Truly a breed above all others.

D'Elle how's your pack doing since the loss of Jester?

Laura, thanks for asking. Kit finally stopped trying to dig up Jester's grave. I never did try to redirect her from that because i figured it was something she had to go through. Having experienced huge loss and grief in my life, not very long ago, I feel strongly that everyone's grief is their own and different and should be allowed to run its course. To me, that fully includes animals, because it is clear to me that they experience grief as well. Kit is doing a bit better, although honestly it seems as though she has aged a bit too much in the past couple of months. I guess that is not too surprising. It is as if she lost her partner.

Everyone else seems to be doing fine, but none of the others were really close to Jes the way Kit was.

Me, I miss him a lot and I guess I always will. I dread the day, probably not too far in the future, when Kit leaves and I have no border collie at all. Don't know what I will do then, and I think about it a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Laura, thanks for asking. Kit finally stopped trying to dig up Jester's grave. I never did try to redirect her from that because i figured it was something she had to go through. Having experienced huge loss and grief in my life, not very long ago, I feel strongly that everyone's grief is their own and different and should be allowed to run its course. To me, that fully includes animals, because it is clear to me that they experience grief as well. Kit is doing a bit better, although honestly it seems as though she has aged a bit too much in the past couple of months. I guess that is not too surprising. It is as if she lost her partner.

Everyone else seems to be doing fine, but none of the others were really close to Jes the way Kit was.

Me, I miss him a lot and I guess I always will. I dread the day, probably not too far in the future, when Kit leaves and I have no border collie at all. Don't know what I will do then, and I think about it a lot.

I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your experience with Jester. It has helped me cope with my decision to help my senior BC cross the bridge in the next few days. It is so nice to have such a great community of dog lovers help each other through these rough times.

Thanks again.

I'm overly devistated and the water works are on and off and here comes my little compassionate peter to make it all better. Nikko never had this compassion. It was get better so we can play and go walking! I'm going to miss Nikko so much, but I know Pete will try his hardest to cheer me up. Then there is my golden Zoey who is a clown and does the dumbest things to make me laugh.