BC Boards

running harness

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you has suggestions for a good harness which is comfortable for running and stays in place.

so far I tried few; the easy walk is ok for training but I do not feel is good for running. I got a brilliant k9 harness; overall I like the design but there are some issues: the chest strap comes loose every time the dog put a bit of tension on the harness. also his hair attach to the strap.

this harness is also supposed to stay a bit loose, so it keeps sliding on the side.

I did not try the ruffwear harness, which is your experience with it?

I am also looking at the urban trail harness that can be done custom.

Luana

I have the Ruffwear Front Range harness for both my collies. I have had the harnesses for over a year and have been really happy with them. The harnesses stay in place really well and there have been a few times where my one girl has worn her harness all day for three days in a row (agility trial and she doesn't compete) and she has been comfortable. The harnesses stay put with a lot of activity. My pups love to run.

post-16122-0-27743100-1468994354_thumb.jpg

I am sure there are many Canadian and USA vendors with the same or similar products. Sled Dog Central has a list of dog sledding supply vendors. I would check there first.

thank you.

I think Alpine Autfitters is similar. on this website I saw the urban trail harness.

Re: Front Range harness. I have one and really like it. But the sizing is a bit off for dogs at the upper end of the size range. The small should have fit Kolt going by the size chart (and he wears small in other Ruffwear gear) But it was really tight and he needed a medium.

The long distance style harness wasn't around when I ran a team. I have a whole storage box full of Border Collie sized X back harnesses, which is the style everyone used at the time. I've been tempted to order some though to try out bikejoring.

I didn't think about the sizing of the Front Range harness until I read Maralynn's post. When I ordered the harnesses my collies were just a little over a year old and and according to the Ruffwear chart were on the upper end of the XS. I ordered S thinking that both girls would fill out a bit as they got older and was really worried that I had made a mistake and the harnesses would be huge but they fit well and still do over a year later.

I didn't think about the sizing of the Front Range harness until I read Maralynn's post. When I ordered the harnesses my collies were just a little over a year old and and according to the Ruffwear chart were on the upper end of the XS. I ordered S thinking that both girls would fill out a bit as they got older and was really worried that I had made a mistake and the harnesses would be huge but they fit well and still do over a year later.

I was about to ask about size...with the brilliant K9 in fact it seems that the problem I have is due to the fact I got the wrong size, even if the medium is supposed to fit a border collie. they will exchange it with a Dixie size, I hope this will solve the issue. my guess is that with the front range he will need a medium as well. what I like about the urban trail is that they will make it custom fit to the measurements of the dog. so I'm still debating which one I'm going to choose ;-)

Fwiw, the small Front Range harness fit my 37#/25" girth dog.

It didn't fit my 44#/26" girth dog.

The off fit seems to be due to the padded chest and back portions. They were too small/short for my larger dog even though the harness did fit around his chest and neck fine.