BC Boards

Stye in my dog's eye?

post-16349-0-16896300-1463893085_thumb.jpegpost-16349-0-69528100-1463893109_thumb.jpeg

I just noticed my 10.5 year old BC has a growth on her eyelid. I'm guessing maybe it is a stye. It does touch the eyeball and I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be looked at or if there is even anything they can/will or need to do. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. We spend every minute together so I don't notice any rubbing or pawing at the eye. Anyone else have any experience with anything like this? Thank you.

It doesn't look like a stye to me either.

I's also be inclined to have a vet look at it. But if it doesn't seem to be bothering her and her next checkup isn't too far out, I'd probably just have it looked at then. . . . though I'd also be watching it closely and taking her to have it looked at if there are any changes in it.

Same advice as above: Keep an eye on it. If it stays the same size, you don't have to rush her into the vet's, but I would have the vet look at it.

In the meantime, Google "meibomian gland" [or more specifically "canine meibomian gland"] which are sebaceous glands on the margins of the dog's eyelids and are responsible for secretion of an oil which helps prevent the water component of the tear from drying out. Further information online.

I have seen online photos that look very similar to the pics you posted. They result from the the meibomian gland getting plugged up and consequently the oil solidifies - resulting in a cyst. Warm compresses will help treat it by softening the congealed oil enough so that it could begin draining.

Why do I know this? :-) :-)

My dog had what looked like a white zit on his lower eyelid. The vet took one look at it and quickly expressed it. Told me about the meibomian gland and recommended the compresses. She did not think it was serious. It quite frequently reappears as I am not good with daily compress treatment, but when I see it, I express it and start with the compresses again.

Note: I am not diagnosing this as a meibomian gland that has become plugged up, but thought you might want to research it further online. I definitely would recommend a visit to the vet for a definitive diagnosis.

It looks like a papilloma. Although papillomas in and of themselves are benign, I would still make sure it's seen and properly diagnosed. It looks like it definitely affects how the eye closes and that can matter. Plus, it's a terrible location to remove a larger lump, so your vet needs to be very aware of size and growth rate regardless of what it is.

They can get meibomian gland tumors which look like this - generally benign but can get bigger and if they rub against the eye they can cause tearing and irritation. It all depends on if the side of it touching the eye is rough or smooth. Quite often they need to be surgically removed if they are causing irritation.