BC Boards

Off leash bulldog attacked my Aussie

I reported it to animal control... And she actually seemed to be advocating for his dog as opposed to mine. It was infuriating. I decided she must either not own a dog, loves bull dogs, or has just finally given up on her job. I actually wish I had never called because she was so non chalant about it that now I am more upset because I know that there will never be repercussions even if he did it again. He had no proof of rabies vaccination, no license, told her he would just train her on the shock collar in a field off leash at the (not fenced) fairgrounds (which happens to be where my dog walker walks my dogs-or used ) when I asked about why she didn't care about his dog not being vaccinated she said it happens all the time and that "she looked incredibly healthy and beautiful" he was given a warning and told to put his dog on quarantine for ten days. When I asked about if I saw him breaking quarantine should I call her ... And you won't believe this ... She said no!!! She said she was sure he never would and she wasn't worried about it. Then proceeded to explain to me that some dogs are just dog aggressive and will go after others and that its unfortunate, that I was lucky he paid for the bill at all. And then had the gall to ask for proof of MY vaccinations ... Which at this point I wanted to ask why bother if they don't care either way?!?!? My dog did not bite the other dog or anyone but I'm sure she already knew that, but of course I'm the only one with proof of vaccination. Regardless I have never been more excited that we are moving across country soon. Sorry for the vent session!

I don't think I would call animal control here in KC. They are notorious for having no brains. At one point they were given a quota if dogs they needed to bring in because they were all parking and sleeping in their trucks. So they began stealing dogs from people's back yards to fill their quota.

My dogs all are licensed because I never want to get into it with the city. But I have no faith in animal control here.

Holy crap.

I would escalate this to this person's supervisor and whatever local authority funds animal control

I agree. Someone somewhere up the chain will care, and the person you talked to has no business holding that job if she doesn't intend to perform it.

Yes, I agree with reporting up the food chain - not only the dog, but also the employee you spoke to.

This is one of those times when (if it happened to me) that I would wish that I had audio confirmation of the conversation you had with the 'public servant'.

At least you have vet records (and maybe photos of the injury?) to back up the dog attack incident.

...He had no proof of rabies vaccination, no license, told her he would just train her on the shock collar in a field off leash at the (not fenced) fairgrounds (which happens to be where my dog walker walks my dogs-or used ) when I asked about why she didn't care about his dog not being vaccinated she said it happens all the time and that "she looked incredibly healthy and beautiful" he was given a warning and told to put his dog on quarantine for ten days.....

So she refused to even ask the attack dog's owner for proof of rabies vac (per your request) and then turns to you and asks you? Insanity. If the attack dog sunk his teeth into your dog's flesh then you have every right to know if rabies are a possibility! There's no logic in ignoring it and a clear dereliction of duty on her part to blow it off.

Definitely go up the food chain. That employee is endangering a lot of people w/that attitude, in more than one dreadful way. If you need to, go to the state, specifically about the rabies thing. That is such bs!

Did the person you spoke to work for the county or the city? Go straight to the governing body, whichever one it is. If you don't get any help, call the paper/local tv & radio. If there is a consumer rights advocate in your area, talk to them. Your taxes are paying this person's salary.

I hope you find someone who listens to you.

Ruth and Gibbs

I agree with the above. Go above that idiot person's head and report the utterly inadequate response that you got from that employee. Keep going up until you get satisfaction. I believe that if you do, you will be doing a service to the people who come after you and deserve to get better treatment than that, a service to the animal control organization itself, and to yourself. If you channel your trauma into the process of getting an appropriate response from animal control and some kind of disciplinary action for the person who reacted so badly to you, you may even find that it helps to lessen your trauma reaction.

So she refused to even ask the attack dog's owner for proof of rabies vac (per your request) and then turns to you and asks you? Insanity. If the attack dog sunk his teeth into your dog's flesh then you have every right to know if rabies are a possibility! There's no logic in ignoring it and a clear dereliction of duty on her part to blow it off.

She did ask him for it, he didn't have it. But there were no citations for it and when I asked about it she just told me it was common for them not to have them and proceeded to tell me that I was lucky he paid my vet bill and that the dog looked healthy. She did put his dog on quarantine... But when I asked her if I should call if I saw him breaking that she said no.

Yes, I agree with reporting up the food chain - not only the dog, but also the employee you spoke to.

This is one of those times when (if it happened to me) that I would wish that I had audio confirmation of the conversation you had with the 'public servant'.

At least you have vet records (and maybe photos of the injury?) to back up the dog attack incident.

Yes I do wish I had it recorded, without a recording I would never push it farther. Lesson learned on my part. I do have the records and images.

Yes, without a recording it's your word against hers. HOWEVER, find out what the law is about quarantining an animal. If you see the guy out again, with his dog, you may be within your rights to report him.

You might be able to find out if there's a legal record of the bite. That's very, very important. Once it goes on the legal record, it will be harder for him to skate if it happens again. If it's not on the record, I'd put up a fight to get it on there.

Good luck w/all this - sheesh, what a world.

Ruth and Gibbs

Yes, without a recording it's your word against hers. HOWEVER, find out what the law is about quarantining an animal. If you see the guy out again, with his dog, you may be within your rights to report him.

You might be able to find out if there's a legal record of the bite. That's very, very important. Once it goes on the legal record, it will be harder for him to skate if it happens again. If it's not on the record, I'd put up a fight to get it on there.

Good luck w/all this - sheesh, what a world.

Ruth and Gibbs

Oh wow, I just assumed since I called it in there would be legal record it, but I guess that is not a safe assumption.

If she has a supervisor, I'd definitely go talk to them. That's BS. See if you can find the specific laws for your county and go talk to someone over her head. She's making calls that are simply without conscience.

Sure hope your poor dog is doing okay. This sort of thing enrages me! :angry:

~ Gloria

I think, ( and I could be wrong - it's happened before) there's a state database of rabies vaccinations. Seems to me that carrying your rabies certificate isn't likely to happen.

In my small city, your dog has to be licensed, and your dog can't get licensed w/out proof of rabies vax. There's more here for you to look into, if you're up for it.

Ruth and Gibbs

She did ask him for it, he didn't have it. But there were no citations for it and when I asked about it she just told me it was common for them not to have them and proceeded to tell me that I was lucky he paid my vet bill and that the dog looked healthy. She did put his dog on quarantine... But when I asked her if I should call if I saw him breaking that she said no.

Wow, that's even worse than NOT asking. How can you put a dog owner on quarantine and not have a care in the world if it has had its rabies vax? Just when you think she can't be any more neglectful of her own job responsibilities she goes and doubles down on it :rolleyes: