BC Boards

Tommy has arthritis in her front elbows.

About a month ago she came running in from the back yard on 3 feet. She was holding her one front leg out to the side. So I kept her quiet and she got better and was putting weight on her leg but still limping a little. And she just continued to improve so I wasn't too worried about it. She finally quit limping all together.

Then this morning she came running in on 3 feet holding her leg out to the side. And she screeched when I bent her elbow. So off to the vet for an x-ray. She has pretty bad arthritis in that elbow joint. Probably the result of her polyarthritis at a year old. She is 7 now.

So she got Metacam injection and meds to take once a day most probably long term. She is supposed to stay quiet for a week and then she needs to keep moving. She isn't one to run around like crazy so should be ok running around the backyard.

Vet was pretty optimistic. He said they are having some great results with laser therapy if it starts to get bad.

I am really working to keep her weight down and she is in good weight. Are there any supplements I could give her that might really help her joints. I don't know which ones work and which ones are just a waste of money.

Laser thrarapy does work pretty well, but you have to keep up with it. Adequan works miracles for a majority of dogs. Worked amazingly for us. Joint supplements are iffy (cosequin/dasuquin). Fish oil is pretty good.

Rub in Aspercream (or a generic version), then DMSO. I can guarantee that it helps for joint pain and arthritis. And you won't even have to lie about for whom you'll use the DMSO. Make sure your hands are clean when you start - then wash well after (unless you have arthritis in your hands).

Speedy had arthritis in his elbows, and laser helped him a TON!!

He never stopped dancing, and he always did his high step. There were some days when he didn't move as well as others, but with chiropractic/laser, meds, supplements (including Adequan until it wasn't available for a while), and daily light activity, the pain was managed decently enough for him to have a very high quality of life.

Why supplements did you give him?

I think we are going to be ok at least for a while. The vet gave her an injection and she is walking on all 4 feet again just limping a little after being in her crate for a while.

She could have arthritis just about anywhere after that polyarthritis. It affected all kinds of areas in her body. But this elbow had been ok so I was surprised at the amount of damage there is.

I know several people who use Cosequin for their dogs. And I've been hearing some good things about hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring molecule that lubricates and protects the function of the tissues.

Recently some folks have been recommending Trixsyn, an oral form of HA. There's a human version made by the same company I'm thinking of trying myself.

Sure hope you can find something that helps her.

That Meticam is amazing. This morning she wasn't putting any weight on her leg. Now she isn't even limping. But she is still on low activity for this week.

I have hyaluronic acid here if I knew how to use it for this. I have no idea on the dosing but will look into it. It's not very expensive.

I will look into the other things. Thank you.

Why supplements did you give him?

I think we are going to be ok at least for a while. The vet gave her an injection and she is walking on all 4 feet again just limping a little after being in her crate for a while.

She could have arthritis just about anywhere after that polyarthritis. It affected all kinds of areas in her body. But this elbow had been ok so I was surprised at the amount of damage there is.

I gave him a supplement from Dogzymes called Phytoflex.

That Meticam is amazing. This morning she wasn't putting any weight on her leg. Now she isn't even limping. But she is still on low activity for this week.

I have hyaluronic acid here if I knew how to use it for this. I have no idea on the dosing but will look into it. It's not very expensive.

I will look into the other things. Thank you.

I used that with Speedy after they discontinued Adequan and I think it helped.

I used Lubrysin at the dose of a teaspoon and some change a day.

Our canine chiropractor said that it is better to give HA without food, so I mixed it in with some meat juice, or even a bit of milky water, and gave it after I got home from work, several hours before dinner. That said, if I forgot to do that, I would just mix it with his dinner.

I would not want to put DMSO or Aspercream on a dog anywhere that the dog could lick it off. It would be toxic if ingested.

Fish oil -- always a good idea, but be sure to use a good one or it will not likely be very effective. I use the Grizzly wild salmon oil, which is not as expensive as it looks if you get it online and buy the 64 oz bottle. Kept in the fridge, it lasts a while.

I have never seen any effect from cosequin.

I am still trying to find something that will help both Jester and Kit, who now both have some arthritis. One thing I have noticed with Kit is that sometimes she will have a bad day and be in obvious pain all day, but most of the time it doesn't seem too bad. I give her Tramadol on the bad days.