BC Boards

Rolling in unwanted stuff

Juno is so well behaved these days that she is off leash quite a bit. Unfortunately this gives her a chance to roll in stuff. Sometimes I see her start to roll so I can call her off but sometimes I do not see her in time and she returns smelling and covered in stuff. Other than keeping her closer to me I am not sure what to do other than take her home and bathe her. I do not get angry with her as she is not aware that she is doing something unwanted. Any thoughts on what I should do when she returns in a smelly state.

Thanks

Bill

Any thoughts on what I should do when she returns in a smelly state.

Thanks

Bill

...laugh? That is what I do. :lol:

I enjoy seeing my dog enjoy himself and don't get angry when he indulges himself (at least for this). I don't personally see the harm. I just take the hose and wash off his neck, where he usually gets the gross stuff. He normally rolls in deer, coyote and fox poop. Sometimes on dead moles and rodents in the field as well. If I see him do it, I do call him off. But many times he quickly goes behind a tree, or down a hill, and so I can't always see him when he starts.

In the history dogs, I don't think I've ever heard of a cure for rolling in stinky stuff. :P If one is lucky, one can call the dog off with a stern "leave it," but that only works if the reprimand matters more to the dog than the glorious reward of the stink. And that's not very often. ;)

I keep doggie wipes in my truck for stuff like that - like hand wipes only larger for pets. Pet supply stores generally carry those in various brands.

~ Gloria

I keep doggie wipes in my truck for stuff like that - like hand wipes only larger for pets. Pet supply stores generally carry those in various brands.

~ Gloria

Huh. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that these 'pet wipes' existed. Sounds like a good thing to have in the car.

While you think it unwanted, your dog does not!! LOL!

In a pinch I've found dryer sheets rubbed can knock the smell so we can sleep til the next day. Vinegar mixed with water will cut the odor-they smell a bit like a rotten salad but it is more bearable than other smells!

One of the absolutely best things I've had done at our house is to have frostproof hot and cold water spigots installed outside (they come out of the foundation). I can hose anything I need to off the dogs in any weather - stinky stuff (which is a rarity these days), mud, grit, ice balls - with tempered water, as warm or as cool as I need it for their comfort.

I can't even guess how many years it's been since I needed to use anything more than a spot-clean for a stinky spot, and usually the hose takes off whatever I need to have removed. None of my dogs has had a bath since they were a pup.

Huh. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that these 'pet wipes' existed. Sounds like a good thing to have in the car.

They are awesome! If your dog rolls in something or has runny poops or upchucks in their crate - or if they stick their nose right where another dog is marking and get pee on their heads :P - they are invaluable.

Here are a couple examples of what I'm talking about. There are many brands and varieties out there.

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/well-and-good-hypoallergenic-deodorizing-dog-wipes

http://www.amazon.com/Earthbath-Natural-Hypo-Allergenic-Fragrance-Free-Grooming/dp/B000WFIVSQ/

A must have for the dog travel kit!

~ Gloria

My friend used to take my dog's collar off when minding her and let her off-leash outside. Then of course she would go missing. Because it smelled bad, because the dog had rolled in something awful, and this would- wait for it- upset the dog.

I never quite got why she thought the dog was rolling in smells that upset her. Poor dog had gone to all the effort to find something truly tantalizing, something that best expressed their inner self, and we were all ruining her efforts at self-actualization... I'm running out of advertising babble here.

Ourwully- I use cheap baby shampoo for the dogs when anything particularly bad gets rolled in. Dog shampoos seem to smell godawful, and if it gets into their eyes it makes the whole experience much more aversive. I'm probably wrecking the ph of their coats but... I've heard it recommended to have a few spare bottles of water, some shampoo, cloths, and plastic bags in the car (is it bad that I travel with most of these anyway) so you can 'assemble' wet wipes or wash the dog at a nearby hose more easily.