BC Boards

Agility dog or no?

I'm not looking for a difinitive answer here, I realize that the only real way to know is to try it. But I'm curious, what kind of dogs enjoy/are good at agility? I've wanted to do agility for years now, just never had the time or funds to try it with Oreo (and with her it would be a "fun" sport, she never liked to put out too much effort for anything). When I got Zoe I was hoping I could someday do agility with her, but if she doesn't like it or we can't do it, that's fine too. As she grows older she's showing more signs of what I think could be a good agility dog - probably not great (probably not good enough to beat the border collies, hehe) - but hopefully to have fun. She loves to run and play, she listens really well to me, and she runs like the blazes... DH and I are starting to think that even our shepherd might not be able to catch her in a full-out run. :eek: Plus she's three times more agile than he is, he's too big to turn quickly. :rolleyes: She also seems to have some good springs in her legs, though of course we don't let her do any jumping at her age.

I'm just excited. :D She is so much fun to play with as it is. It'll be GREAT to start agility with her and work together as a team.

I think agility is fun no matter what. I do not ever expect to win anything big I cant show over and over on weekends. I find it combines mental stuff with exercise for both of us.

The only dogs who do bad are dogs like jewel who have a timid side she couldnt take the constant calling.

My trainer is in her mid 70's and has wins regularly with her sheltie.

That's good news! Well, partially. Unfortunately Zoe is a VERY shy dog. I really hope with work she can grow more confident and get over it, but I know it's going to be a long road. So maybe we won't be able to do competitions for a long time, if ever - all those people. But we could still take classes in a nice closed, familiar environment.

I recently just stopped my agility classes, but took them for a full year w/ my GSD/Chow and for 5 months w/ my Golden.

My GSD/Chow, Jaida is NOT at all built for agility. At 27" she's very tall and way too stocky. But she listens VERY well, eager to please me and is very treat motivated - also smart (easy to train). While we never competed (her fatness does not allow her to jump her regulation height) we had lots of fun in class and learning. It gave us bonding time and fun time together.

If you are not a super competitive person, then working a non-conventional breed is great fun. I personally got a BC for 2 reasons. The 2nd reason is because is an agility competitive dog - and unfortunately, I am a competitive person. I'm not planning on going to nationals - I don't even train like I want to, but I want a dog who at least wants to RUN through the course instead of jog :rolleyes: . I like the faster pace.

BTW many other breeds besides BCs and Shelties do win competitions - esp. local ones. :D

In my agility school there are MANY breeds in class, most of which never plan to compete.

I don't know if shyness would be an issue for Zoe, depends if she doesn't mind being in a noisy building full of dogs - she doesn't have to interact with them. Jaida doesn't play with other dogs at all. Sniffs and then is done. But I wouldn't consider her shy... so it depends.

The best factor is to have your dog with reliable come, sit, stay, with me commands before you start. Also if she can focus on you with distractions. That will set you up for success and much fun

I think agility is good for all dogs. A friend of mine got into agility with her Pug. The dog started out indifferent and is now doing short courses with gusto. Pugs are not exactly built for agility, nor common in competitions. My friend is addicted now and has her own equipment and the dog is having the time of his life.

Most dogs like to work with their owners, to get attention, to get rewards, and to do things that are physical. When it comes to breeds "for agility" I think it only matters if you are interested in beating other people and dogs, but I think most people who do agility are not primarily motivated by that. I'm certainly not.

Agility has been good for Solo -- he loves it and it has allowed him to become comfortable in situations he would otherwise not be comfortable in, and to participate in group activities with other people and dogs around. It has been important for his socialization and confidence building, like sheep work has. I think it's worth trying with Zoe. I spent a lot of time at the beginning acclimating Solo, and it taught me a lot about how to desensitize him to situations and to manage him appropriately.

I say go for it.

My shy dog has his ADC, AADC, MJDC titles! Agility was a great confidence booster for him. He also has his FD, FDX, FDCH-S titles. Not the fastest flyball dog on the team, but he loves to play.

Just about any dog can play. Why not?

RDM

That all sounds excellent! RDM, that's good for me to hear, I really hope that focusing on something and doing well will boost her confidence. She's still young yet. She is very sound-reactive, but I'm confident we can work through that - or at least get it to a manageable level.

And no, I'm not a very competitive person. Drives my hubby crazy, because he wants to WIN! (He plays sports.) The greatest reward for me would be for Zoe to really enjoy herself.

Zoe IS part sheltie, or at least at best guess, and who knows what else. So maybe she would give some dogs a run for their money! :rolleyes:

We are doing some obedience classes first, to get the basis down and to hopefully socialize her and work through some of her sound/stranger issues. She does very well at listening to me, but it's the distractions that are a problem. We have a ways to go.

Natalie, I agree with the others that there's probably no reason why you and Zoe can't enjoy agility together.

I don't know if others agree, but I've just got hold of Greg Derret's agility foundation video, and I'm finding it very interesting. He talks about stuff you can do with your dog to build the relationship you'll need in agility, and some foundation skills that you can put in place before you get near the equipment. One of the things he wants from his dogs is that they be focussed on him when he asks for that, regardless of whatever else is going on. For the most part, he seems to use play drive to achieve this - lots of tug toy play. He also uses tug play to desensitize the dog to the sound of the seesaw. Might be worth a look.

Is Zoe coping OK with her obedience classes? (Other than distractions - I'm still working on that 4 years down the track with my boy!)

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

Agility has been good for Solo -- he loves it and it has allowed him to become comfortable in situations he would otherwise not be comfortable in, and to participate in group activities with other people and dogs around. It has been important for his socialization and confidence building, like sheep work has.

I've seen agility do wonders for shy or insecure dogs. I got into agility because my sheltie, Rory, was pathologically shy. It was one of the best things I ever did for him. Previously, I trained him in obedience for almost 2 years and he never liked it. His first class was stressful for him. We repeated beginner's and during that second round he just took off in the sport and increasing confidence. At first I needed to teach him to take (and swallow) treats in class. Eventually, he not only accepted treats from others he'd ask for them. He went from his first trial to a UKC ACH in a little over 6 months. He earned his ACHX in 5 straight runs. Shelties are usually naturals at agility -- athletic, biddable, and quick learners. Rory's biggest limitation having a complete rookie agility trainer who made the typical boneheaded blunders we make with our first dogs.

Here's my biggest tip. Never let Zoe think she's made a mistake in agiltiy. Shelties tend to worry about that kind of thing by nature as it is. Most mistakes are going to be due to your training and/or handling errors, anyway. Do everything in your power to make Zoe think she is the most talented, brilliant, fastest, athletic agility dog there ever was and she can do no wrong. Make her enjoyment job one. My feeling is our dogs understand two things when we do agility -- whether they're having fun and whether we're happy with them. Make both those answers a very big yes for your girl.

Rory never got over his innate shyness, but he became steadier and more confident in life. People were impressed by his aloof, at times haughty demeanor and actually felt honored when he went up to them to tell them they could now offer him a treat (he also had a sheltie's innate huge appetite ). He had an incredible work ethic and took his "job" of agility partner very seriously. I know others would say I was anthropomorphizing, but I think he had a real sense of pride in his performance. I see this in my other dogs as well.

While Quinn is being foundation trained right now, my current agility dog is a Lhasa. He's not at all built for speed and his work ethic is shaky at best. He'll never very fast, but he has the best time out there. He seems to think agility shows are held in his honor and absolutely struts into the ring. So there is definitely room for all dogs and handlers with a whole range of goals.

The only dogs who do bad are dogs like jewel who have a timid side she couldnt take the constant calling.

I guess I should clarify this possibly timid isnt the right word. Jewel had/has behavioral problems like if you spoke to her in a certain pitch (like a baby talk) she would pee on the floor. She still shy's away from your hand at times.

So agility overstressed her. I think earth dog would be her calling possibly she could do fly ball but, I've only seen that on tv.

I put my 6 year old mutt, Sammie, into agility two months ago. He's always been a big baby. If he wants a ball that is sitting behind a basket or a piece of furniture, he will stand there and cry until I (or Speedy) get it for him. I didn't think he would take to agility - I figured he would be afraid of the equipment and he isn't really athletic.

But he loved it and I think it has been a good confidence builder for him. The only piece of equipment that he absolutely refused was the teeter. At the end of the seven week class he was even clambering up over the A-Frame at almost full hight and going over the dog walk (set low) on his own and he was enjoying it. He seemed to like the challenge.

And the best part is working with him as a team.

If you expect to win.....you will win.

That is what I think. ANY dog (yes, even my shih tzus :rolleyes: ) can do Agility. Some take longer to train then others but....it is so worth it. I think Zoe would make a great Agility pup. It will boost her confidence too.

Be carefull with Zoe and the Teeter. I don't really agree with how Dazzle was introduced, she was scared out of her skin for quite awhile and it was hard for me to work her through it. When you do the teeter with a shy dog, got SLOW! start it very low and get the dog to do it, but don't let it bang/tip on its own. Work up to it. It is really hard to watch your dog get scared. :D So when you look/find a trainer make sure that for learning Agility they keep it VERY positive and go VERY slow. It is worth it in the long run. Have fun if you decide to do it! It is SOOOOOO fun! :D

So much great encouragement here! :rolleyes: Zoe and I thank you!

Barb - I will look for that video! I do like to work with my dogs by myself... I take classes for other reasons. AS for how Zoe's doing - we haven't started yet. The original class I wanted to take filled up really quickly and I haven't heard back about the second class I tried to get into. I need to contact her. :/

Liz - That's great to know! She's certainly a spunky sheltie, hehehe. And she loves her food, too. I have to make Zoe think she's the most brilliant, wonderful dog for just about everything we do. LOL She takes TONS of praise and very, very slight "corrections" (just a "nope, this way.") I'll be careful to keep it all positive for her in agility... I definitely want to make it the most fun thing she's ever done.

Sheryl - I'm sorry to hear that about Jewel. :D Zoe would react like that if yelled at, I think, but I'm very gentle with her and I've got my hubby to tone himself done a lot too. She actually does really well in the house, once she started trusting us she became spunky as heck.

Kristine and Kat - I can definitely see Zoe freaking out over the teeter. For that matter I don't think Oreo would have liked it at all either (she hated things moving under her feet). Kat that's a very good point... I'm definitely going to have to be careful with who I choose.

When do people usually start agility classes? I've heard that some trainers do low-impact training basics for pups who shouldn't jump yet. Zoe's 9 months old now.

I start my pups as soon as they come home. istart with hand touches ,sending on(GO ON) and get out, Ihave plywood and planks on the ground as soon as they touch the wood I C+T. we do restrained recalls hide and seek , the name game and so on at about 5 months we do alittle cicel running front and rear XS around a jump (with no bar) We always stop training prior to the dogs wanting to stop. If you are going to use Hoops in your contact training teach them to go thur them on the flat. tipy bords seesaw( 8 foot 2x10 or 2x12 on a 4 inch sewer pipe)

Do things to build confidece, Agility is good for any healthy dog , dont jump your dog to young, I have done agility with aGSD 28 .5 inches tall He had to patrol the Ring until he learned that dad and agility wher more fun . I did A tunnelers course with him once up in Stow VT, because he hated to bend down and do the tunnel but after that he would go way off course to get any tunnel it was so funny. i have also done a Lab , a aussie a bc and now have a 20 month Bc that is in training .

So luna get out and do agility it is so fun and you can do so much even with out equipment And you willsee your dogs confidence grow!

bobh

Natalie,

Tweed is sound sensitive as well. After 6 years of living downtown he would be accustomed to the sound of the 9 o'clock gun but it still sends him running. However, at flyball and agility he is on fire and nothing scares him! Initially the audience / judge / scribe did frighten him but we just jollied along until he got so focused on the game that he didn't notice anymore.

When Kristi's Wicked first came into rescue that dog was comatose from a life of complete underexposure. You should see her run now!!

RDM

Originally posted by MrSnappy:

When Kristi's Wicked first came into rescue that dog was comatose from a life of complete underexposure. You should see her run now!!

It's more like "you should HEAR her run now".

But it's true, the little timid dog who looked like this at the shelter:

wickshelter.jpg

now looks like this when she's playing agility:

wicked_weaves.jpg

And her happy face (and ear-piercing shrieking) means more to me than any ribbon that she's won.

I was able to get Dazzle in a class at about 6 months or so but I started training her at 9 weeks. :rolleyes:

Zoe still is pretty young but as long as you tell your instructer that (when you find one) he/she should make sure that she stays safe. If not - find a DIFFERENT trainer! :D

Glad you are going to take the plunge!

Yup, she's a screamer. I tried some things to shut her up but eventually conceded that that's who she is - loud, proud, and wickedly obnoxious. Hence, the name.

But on the rare times that we get our act together, usually in Jumpers or Tunnelers, she is pretty awesome.

p.s. Wicked was a day or two away from whelping 11 pups in that shelter picture - that's why she looks fat. She wanted you to know that she is a very thin dog now and thankfully (for the border collie gene pool) spayed and loving the sterile life. :rolleyes:

Solo's voice is too low for him to be a screamer, but he's quite loud on the agility course at all times except in trials. I have no idea why. I'm guessing he's cuing off something I'm giving off but haven't been able to identify what it is.

The best part is that until he steps up to the start line, he's basically asleep. Everyone else in class is trying to keep their dogs quiet, tugging frantically, doing obedience exercises, whatever to jazz their dogs up and/or keep them under control. Solo stands there like Eeyore, or an old cart horse with one hind foot cocked in a resting position, then it's our turn and Chewbacca on uppers suddenly shows up. Whee!

The reason this is the best part is that when we first started, I had to constantly be working with him on maintaining focus, otherwise he'd lose it and randomly lunge at someone walking by, or something equally savory. Ah, the memories.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting Kristi and Wicked once (I think it was Wick you had with you?). But I didn't get to see her run a course, lol. It's really too bad I didn't have time or money to do agility then, that place was SO close to my parents' house.

I can imagine Zeeke doing agility... I bet he'd be loud. He's a barker at pretty much any time, and when he gets wound up... oh wow, look out! I'm trying to talk hubby into doing agility with him... Zoe's my focus, and I don't think I could handle doing two dogs! lol