BC Boards

Keeper has weaves!

That's awesome! Such a great feeling when they get it. In our class we use WAM and for my dog they're so close to being straight I can't wait. My other BC who I taught at home had them in no joke 20 minutes. He excelled at everything I ever taught him so it wasn't a surprise. Then I found out how hard it is for some dogs. But jeesh! 6 lessons? You have quite a genius on your hands! What technique did you use?

He didn't learn through any traditional method, 2x2s, WAM, etc. Our trainer has an interesting method, I'll do my best to explain it.

Basically she starts with a full set of weaves, with guides. The guides are on the ground though, so they're basically just a visual cue for the dog rather than an actual block. She started with her holding him on one end, and me at the other end completely in line with the weaves. Then, it was a type of recall. I basically threw a party and did my best to encourage him to come while she used the leash to block the forward motion. She'd basically use nothing but the leash to block any direction other than going between the weaves. It really worked to make him think his own way through the weaves, rather than relying on a physical trait of the poles to encourage him to weave. I did a very brief stint of V's to help him find his footing a bit, but he basically just understood that the point was to go between the weaves from the second or third lesson. I made my own set a little over a week ago, and he's skyrocketed since then!

Awesome job! I'm admiring your homemade weaves, too. I picked up a huge pile of 3/4" PVC pipe free on Craigslist and weaves are one of the things I'm hoping to make with it.

Stick in the ground poles are also an option to save on PVC unless you are planning on training 2x2s

• 2 weeks later...

An exact two weeks after the first video, I think we're improving at a great pace!

If you slow the video down you can see he's single stepping about half of the time. I'm pretty sure that'll be his final way of weaving. I'm really enjoying watching him figure out his own best way!