BC Boards

Anyone know of good dog goggles/sunglasses?

My poor merle BC hardly has any pigment around one eye and are very light blue. He always gets a bad sunburn and swollen eyes in the summertime I want to prevent cataracts when he is older. It also would help us in disc competitions if he could actually see the disc and stop squinting lol...

I've tried one style that has two straps but they always fly off sideways when he starts going full speed. I'm hoping to get a reliable pair before our second ever disc dog comp together towards the end of the month.

I saw Rec Specs that looked wonderful but not in my price range right now. :/

Anyone have any experience in using affordable doggles for their border collies?

The goggles that didn't work out...

post-16800-0-39910400-1459569484_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-41252500-1459569487_thumb.jpg

My Mr. Loki

post-16800-0-27116700-1459569480_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-24407000-1459569482_thumb.jpg

I can't help with recommendations, but one thing to consider is that if there's any way you can afford the good ones you want now, it just might save you money in the long run. If you end up buying several that you end up not being able to use, like the first ones you pictured, it could end up costing you much more in the long run.

Just a though. Good luck. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

As someone who has spent waaaaaaaaaay too much money on cheap things that crap out a few months later, I wholeheartedly second GentleLake's comment.

I saw a pair on facebook the other day, and unfortunately I don't have the brand name. But I stead of being like swim goggles or sun glasses, they looked more like the glasses you'd wear in a chem class. They were entirely flexible though, the single large lens was a flexible plastic material. The sides were also made of a breathable fabric, and the whole mask sealed over the face. They looked pretty promising. I'll try to find them again.

I know someone with a dog with eye issues that has to wear doggles all the time. I'll ask her which ones she finally settled on. I know she tried a number of them before she found a pair that worked for her BC.

Turns out she settled on Doggles. She added a couple pieces of Velcro to attach the Doggles to her dog's Halti and that ended up curing any slippage when her dog plays or shakes his head.

I can't help with recommendations, but one thing to consider is that if there's any way you can afford the good ones you want now, it just might save you money in the long run. If you end up buying several that you end up not being able to use, like the first ones you pictured, it could end up costing you much more in the long run.

Just a though. Good luck. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Yeah that's what I'm beginning to consider too. I just assume Rex Specs were maybe the Nike brand of dog goggles. They cost $80 but I suppose that's pretty good considering the lenses are interchangeable. Just kind of wanted to wait until I start working again next month to purchase the real deal! :P

http://www.rexspecs.com/

Idk if any of y'all have seen the border collie that works out in the airport? That's where I saw the Rex Specs on his instagram page. I assume since it works for that BC it will work for mine!

It stinks! But at least I am learning how to take care of white faced dogs! He needs more sunscreen than me! :P

As someone who has spent waaaaaaaaaay too much money on cheap things that crap out a few months later, I wholeheartedly second GentleLake's comment.

I saw a pair on facebook the other day, and unfortunately I don't have the brand name. But I stead of being like swim goggles or sun glasses, they looked more like the glasses you'd wear in a chem class. They were entirely flexible though, the single large lens was a flexible plastic material. The sides were also made of a breathable fabric, and the whole mask sealed over the face. They looked pretty promising. I'll try to find them again.

This isn't what I was referring to, but what about these?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lol yes I'm very guilty of that too! Just wanted a cheap pair so I can save up for the Rex Specs next month. These doggy sports are a very expensive hobby but worth every penny of it!

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for. I feel like the traditional sunglass shaped goggles don't fit on their skinny faces as well. The chemistry or ski goggle shape seems to fit really well on BCs.

I saw that one! I'm just curious how they claim the mesh blocks out the UV rays. Unless I'm not seeing a clear lens underneath treated with a UV coat?

Turns out she settled on Doggles. She added a couple pieces of Velcro to attach the Doggles to her dog's Halti and that ended up curing any slippage when her dog plays or shakes his head.

That's good to know. My mom wants me to try the Doggles I may order a pair now that I know they stay on.

What a pretty dog you have.

I have used Doggles brand for years. They are sturdy and last a long time and are easily adjustable to fit different dogs.

Thank you! He is the best rescue I have ever had.

Are you using the traditional Doggles that look likes goggles or the ski goggles shape? I got an off brand that looks like Doggles but they fly right off...even have the double strap! Heck I may just order a pair since everyone says they have worked just wanted to make sure my fellow BC owners had similar luck!

I am not sure what size I ordered, but I got them originally for Jester, my male BC who weighs about 45 pounds. I got them in order to feel comfortable having him ride in a convertible car with the top down. They worked fine for years. Then a 20 pound terrier came into my life and he wanted to ride in the convertible too, and the Doggles adjusted down to fit him just fine. So they seem to be pretty versatile.

Here is Digger with the Doggles on.

post-2074-0-78883900-1459730940_thumb.jpg