Prayers please

jvw

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good news from the oncologist. Tyra was classified stage II. She is not a good candidate for radiation because of the repeated anesthesia and the location. She is a candidate for the Melanoma vaccine. However, it is controversial. But mostly it is crazy expensive. And at her age she was not certain it would give more than her normal life expectancy. There is some anecdotal evidence in horses that Tagamet shrinks melanoma. While there is no current study to see if it does the same for dogs it certainly won't hurt her. So she will be getting it twice a day.

Now the really surprising news! While clearly no one can predict the future she thought even without further treatment Tyra has another six to 12 months! AND while certainly the tumor could grow back it is not a definite! Yes eventually it will spread to lymph nodes and lungs.

So overall I feel buoyed that we have way more time than I thought (theoretically) and that I am comfortable I am making the right decision not pursuing further treatment.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!!

Good news on the whole. I'm very happy to hear it. :)

I haven't had a chance to read these yet so can't make any comments, but these articles about mushrooms for cancer showed up on my FB feed this morning so I'll pass them on FWIW.

http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/mushrooms-for-immunity/

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/medicinal-mushrooms-for-cancer-in-dogs/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=Organic&utm_term=Recycled&utm_campaign=Blog

I have a friend who's a veterinarian who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and treats a lot of dogs with cancer. Dunno if that'd be something that might be worth looking into as well.

Best wishes for you and Tyra. I'm sure you'll cherish the extra time you have with her.

That is just great news!

And, my apologies for even suggesting chemotherapy. I messed up and did not register how old Tyra is. I wouldn't go that route with my own 15 year old dog.

I am so very glad to hear that her passing on is not likely to be as imminent as you thought. Best wishes to you both and I hope your times to come will be the best yet.

No worries on the suggestion. Chemo has not been shown to be effective for melanoma anyway.

I got the Tagamet this morning and started that routine. Thank heavens I have a pill cutter! They are not easy to halve.

Ok, back to spoiling now!

Now the really surprising news! While clearly no one can predict the future she thought even without further treatment Tyra has another six to 12 months! AND while certainly the tumor could grow back it is not a definite! Yes eventually it will spread to lymph nodes and lungs.

So overall I feel buoyed that we have way more time than I thought (theoretically) and that I am comfortable I am making the right decision not pursuing further treatment.

Such good news! Yay Tyra! My old girl (at the time about 15) had a persistent cough, to the point that I had a chest x-ray done. There were suspicious shady bits, and rather than run a bunch of tests, I bought her a humidifier which helped her breathing a bit. She had a good year after the scary x-ray, and I mean a GOOD year. Running, barking, flossing on her brother's tail, travelling the country, and she even ran in a few agility trials. She lived 2015 as the queen, and I have never regretted the decisions I made for her. May Tyra continue to surprise you!

Back on the roller coaster! It seems what we were seeing was most likely a suture reaction or just drainage from surgery. The site is back to looking normal. There is still a pea size hard spot under her chin along the jaw. But that could also be suture reaction.

Wow! I knew this would be hard. I just had no idea what a wild ride it would be.

And so the spoiling continues.....just dialed back a bit. She has gained 3 lbs in 2 weeks!!

What a relief! Back to How To Spoil Your Dog - doggy massages, playing whenever she wants to play, visits from favorite humans/other dogs, (if she has them) visits to favorite places, getting up on the furniture - there's tons of ways to spoil her without adding calories.

So, yeah, okay, food is always a fave. And basically, it's all about Tyra all the time. Right?

Glad you got some good news - give Tyra a nice long scratch from me.

Ruth and Gibbs, who is spoiled in many ways

You'd have to meet Tyra to understand. For her it REALLY is all about the food. She only likes to be touched on her terms, and its not very often. Mostly at 4 am :-) So if she asks I comply what ever time it is. Her favorite people are people with FOOD. She has been giving me kisses, something she NEVER would do. So she is spoiling me too.

• 2 weeks later...

The tumor has returned with a vengeance. It was an uncomfortable weekend despite meds. She still wants to eat non stop. But that can no longer be the deciding factor. Tomorrow a vet with Lap of Love will come to the house and help her over the Bridge. Tonight will be pork chops and breadsticks and ham and cheese and yogurt and and and........!

It should be a nice day tomorrow so we should be able to lie in the grass and say goodbye.