BC Boards

What Size Soft Crate?

What size soft crate do you have for your BC? Cal is 45ish lb and we're going to order a soft crate for her. It'll be much easier to travel with than one of the plastic kennels since our car is rapidly filling up with baby gear!

I'm not sure how tall she is but she's smaller than the average lab and sleeps in a fox-like ball anyway. She won't be confined in it for long periods of time and it's really only to keep her from getting into trouble at my parents' house!

I also have 36" soft crates for my 43 lb. border collie and my 38 lb. lurcher. Even though Tansy doesn't weigh as much as Bodhi does, she's a bit taller than he is, leggier.

I also like for them to have the room to stretch out, especially since depending on where we are they may have to stay in the crates for a while.

Chewy.com has a variety that are relatively inexpensive. We went ahead and ordered this one: https://www.chewy.com/dog/go-pet-club-sage-soft-portable-pet/dp/101891

If it's not roomy enough, we'll return and try again. But I think based on the comments, it will be a good size. We don't plan on having her sleep in it overnight because she doesn't get herself into trouble overnight anymore when she's "supervised" but she is sneaky and bratty when we're gone and the family would be pretty upset if she ate their stuff. (Note: She only gets in trouble at new places...at home she's wonderful during the day and we don't even have a crate with a door. She doesn't even touch the baby toys we sometimes forget on the floor!!)

There's also a bird at their house that Cal is fascinated by and I can totally see him biting her snoot when she sticks it in there to investigate his many smells and noises...Given that he's a relatively large bird, it's a lesson she ought to live without learning the hard way.

Do your BCs like to sleep curled up? Cal sleeps sprawled out like a rug when she's just in the bedrooms, but if she's in her dog bed or sleeping in her kennel (without a door, it's just her safe space), she's always curled very tightly into a foxy ball. Nose under tail, paws all tucked in.

My normal sized border collie was fine with a 36" crate, my great oversized model was very uncomfortable in one and had to have the next size up which was huge. He does sleep curled up in basket but we have noticed that at night he likes to sprawl and at agility competitions he gets stiff if he is to confined.

The soft crate arrived and 32" is PERFECT for Cal. It's a super sturdy and nice crate too. Definitely recommend!

And Chewy has a 1 year guaranteed policy so even if it's used they'll take it back if it doesn't work out. So we'll see how it handles traveling and wear and tear.

My husband compared it to a tent. Very sturdy, same material, similar design.

Hah! Always a good sign. Obviously a good choice there Moosikins, well done!

I tried to demonstrate to some friends that crates are not 'cruel', pulled down one and just casually opened the door. The dog popped straight in and did not want to come out. Didn't convince them, sadly.

Hah! Always a good sign. Obviously a good choice there Moosikins, well done!

I tried to demonstrate to some friends that crates are not 'cruel', pulled down one and just casually opened the door. The dog popped straight in and did not want to come out. Didn't convince them, sadly.

Cal definitely sees her crate as safety. When she gets overwhelmed at my parents' house with the kids running around and constantly touching her (I don't blame them, they're children...They'll learn to chill out eventually and they're doing a very good job extending her patience and teaching her to hold her temper). We use the "She'll eat all of your stuff" almost as an excuse to keep her crated at their house because they've suggested that we just leave her out.

She needs her safe haven to curl up in to get away from everyone. Once our baby starts walking, we're actually going to put the door back on her crate and lock it when she goes in because she'll tell us when she's ready to come back out and the baby won't be able to get in.

I'm glad you plan on enforcing the crate as a safe place. So many people neglect that and end up having issues.

I also agree my dogs love their crates and honestly I do too. There are times when they just go into their crates to sleep just because they like it. I think it's also great for times the dog needs to be down due to an injury or something because then they don't stress more because they aren't used to it.

I also have several types of crates. I like the metal collapsible ones because they are easy to move around. Plastic ones for the times I need a sturdy carrier, and a soft crate for trips or agility trials. My dogs seem to adjust better to new environments with a crate as their 'safe haven'.

So many people just think it's mean to kennel a dog and remove their freedom, but I like to think it's more like giving them a place of their own.