BC Boards

I definitely didn't mean to imply that if the dog is way in over its head, beyond rational thought-scared that you shouldnt pick it up and remove it. Sorry if it came across that way. Just that I wouldnt reward normal puppy zoomies in this way, partially because I dont want to reward bad behavior, partially because its just a band-aid solution that is not going to work when puppy grows up. Teaching calm in positive ways as everyone else has said, is the way to go.

If I misread and your dog is in deep distress, by all means get it out of there, and dont take it into distressing situations until you have trained calm behavior below the dogs tolerance threshold. Doing so is just setting you both up for failure.

I wasn't saying you should ignore the dog and be cruel. There is a difference between zoomies or even mild fear/timidity and flat-out fear/terror. I didn't think we were talking about the latter here.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that if the dog is way in over its head, beyond rational thought-scared that you shouldnt pick it up and remove it. Sorry if it came across that way. Just that I wouldnt reward normal puppy zoomies in this way, partially because I dont want to reward bad behavior, partially because its just a band-aid solution that is not going to work when puppy grows up. Teaching calm in positive ways as everyone else has said, is the way to go.

If I misread and your dog is in deep distress, by all means get it out of there, and dont take it into distressing situations until you have trained calm behavior below the dogs tolerance threshold. Doing so is just setting you both up for failure.

I wasn't saying you should ignore the dog and be cruel. There is a difference between zoomies or even mild fear/timidity and flat-out fear/terror. I didn't think we were talking about the latter here.

I agreed with most of what you were saying :) giving in and picking her up every time she behaves badly will not help in the least. Thanks for your advice!

I may be guilty of picking up my 43 lb border collie when he's going a little nuts (typically barking like mad out the window and I can't get him to stop). I think it surprises him more than anything.

Puppies are easy to pick up and comfort but my 3 yr old BC is 53 lbs. Even as a puppy he never was a touchy-feely kinda a guy and we're both good with it. He does flip out when the thunder roars but he has a crate and I always leave the door open when he's not in it. He likes his crate, he sleeps in it every night and when spooked he retreats to it. I keep a full cover on it and throw the flap down over the front gate when occupied. It's his default "safe place".

• 3 years later...

Can’t tell you how good it is to read all this advice and to know we are not the only one experiencing this behaviour from our 11 week old pup! 80%of the time he is adorable but every evening it feels like he goes mental and he will be nipping at both of us! We take him outside and he bites his leash and pulls and growls I have to admit I began to feel quite scared of him. I am new to all this and have never owned a dog before my husband has always wanted a BC so I went along with it but I think in the last few days we have both felt we had done the wrong thing! We love him to bits and he is great about sleeping in his crate all night and settles very quickly. I think from reading here we don’t use the crate enough and I worry about making it a negative place by using it if we all just need a few minutes time out. Would you recommend that we crate him as soon as we sense he is heading for a mad spell before it has all kicked offf? I have considered an outdoor pen,  not to put him in for punishment or to leave him alone  ( we are lucky we are both at home all day although my husband does work) but to allow him some free time to do his own thing for short spells? What would your views be on this. We have been told not to use his crate as a negative place but if we want to do time out should we look at using an X pen? Sorry if this is all a ramble I just desperately want to rear a calm and happy doggie yet feel completely out of my depth.