BC Boards

Puppy fluff?

Oomph, depends on dog and none of my fluffier one are BC/have ever been BC.

I will say that while average with all my dogs was about 16 weeks/four months, Thud had a lot of tummy issues as a baby-dog and while he lost his 'normal' fluff somewhere around 5 months he grew some kind of intermediate coat, too.

Which is to say he went from fluffy puppy, to kind of bald fuzzy 6 month old, to having a long REALLY WAVY coat that also all shed out before it finished.

Was just the weirdest transition of any dog ever. I don't know if it was stomach issues or something else, but.

T2-1.jpg

Young pup.

T_zpsab4c67f9.jpg

Baldish, slightly later than usual

AND Then there WAS THIS:

T5_zps8b2952fb.jpg

3_zps3efa8de8.jpg

We got to normal in the end, though. Still no idea wth was up with him.

Looking at those pictures I kind of figure his adult coat will start coming in a little bit over the next few weeks.

I think that the puppy fluff transition to adult coat is individual to a dog and coat type. My medium rough coat dog didn't get a sleek coat until he was about 12 months. That beautiful sleek coat started to get more fluffy as he aged. I noticed a very gradual change starting about 3 years of age.

My younger dog is a short coat and never really had puppy fluff. His coat did transition to a sleeker version of his puppy coat, but it wasn't a dramatic change.

And, CptJack, Thud was an adorable puppy.

My younger dog is a short coat and never really had puppy fluff. His coat did transition to a sleeker version of his puppy coat, but it wasn't a dramatic change.

That's exactly what happened with Wink. He did sort of get a slick Mohawk of coarser fur when his coat first started to change, but it's already (at 4 months) changed to a nice, slick smooth coat.