BC Boards

My Border Collie Jax just turned 9 mos. I'm wondering about how their fur usually grows in. His seems a bit dry and uneven. He's got this long dry "mohawk" across his back and much longer dryer fur on his backend. I'm feeding him Blue Buffalo Grain Free Puppy food and I'm wondering if this is normal or maybe he's not getting the proper nutrition. He's pretty active and goes swimming once a week or so. I'm just trying to figure out if I should worry. Any advice appreciated for a new owner! Thx

Is he swimming in a pool or natural water source? I have one that gets dry coat and another that has dry skin in the winter. Both benefit from fish oil and coconut oil, but you do have to be careful to not give too much. But I agree, nine months is a tough age to know what is going on with a pup's coat.

Lyka got a weird stiff mohawk of white fur that stuck around until she was at least a year and a half old. It looked so silly I was always trying to brush it down. The weird thing is the mohawk was nothing like her adult coat just a weird phase of fur growth.

Fish oil, like everyone else said. Hazel had the strangest puppy coat, but at a younger age. She had short, bristle like fur with a mohawk. She felt like a lab, I was really afraid it was going to stay that way (I just dont like the feel of a short coated dog). But her fur grew out eventually, now shes got 5" long butt fluff and a nice mane, super soft. I wouldnt worry.

My bad.

My recommendation for dry fur is the same, though. Fish oil.

Dry fur often leads to dry skin if they underlying cause -- often not enough fat or the wrong kinds of fats -- isn't addressed.

If Bodhi's fur gets dry looking I know it's time to start (or increase) the fish oil. If I don't the dander follows close behind.