BC Boards

'Durability' of Parvo

gcv-border

A friend, who does quite a bit of fostering, just had a very unfortunate experience with Parvo in one of the foster dogs. She is now trying to determine how long the parvo virus will remain active in her yard. Online research has indicated 6-9 months, whereas her vet is telling her up to 10 years.

Can anyone provide more insight?

Checked the veterinary boards to see if I could find a clear answer. No one agreed on the longest time frame, but some knew of cases in which there was more than a year between an infected dog being in the yard and another dog getting infected on the same property.

I have heard even longer than 10 yrs but not sure anyone really knows.

In hard non porous surfaces they can cleaned, disinfected, bleached ect but with porous surfaces like wood or even dirt there is not a good way to disinfect.

Recently spoke to a DVM friend, his opinion is that the virus is pretty much everywhere any dogs go and the best is timely vaccines and limit exposure while pups are vulnerable - which is also another discussion - many do not agree on that either. Certain times of year we see more of it than others.

Jovi, the cases were families who had an infected pup in their yard. They all went something like this... The infected pup died. The next year they got a new pup, brought it home to their yard prior to being vaccinated, new pup dies. Cycle repeated year after year.

I would not worry so much about your average, healthy, vaccinated dog. I would be worried for certain breeds, immune suppressed, unvaccinated or other underlying medical conditions that weaken the body's defenses.

Just last week I had a case of a fully vaccinated puppy with parvo. Her breed is known for getting parvo despite being appropriately vaccinated.

The situation you describe is, unfortunately, what the foster now has to avoid, and is why she is trying to determine a time period after which she might be safe. She was one of the main fosters for pregnant moms and moms with nursing pups. Also, she was often an 'intake' foster who would hold a dog for a few days - 2 weeks until another foster home opened up.

She had a 5 month old foster pup that did not come down with parvo until about 7-10 days after it arrived at her place. During that time, he would have times when he would free run in her large yard (~1-2 acres). Basically, he had been everywhere.

Now, she can no longer take young pups, nor can she take any dogs with unknown vaccinated status. She has been doing a LOT of kennel cleaning, but the outside yard remains a problem.