BC Boards

First time using hydrogen peroxide

CSW

Okay, only on this board can I share this and at least one person will understand. I successfully made my almost 2 year old BC vomit after she ate the finger of a loosely knit glove. I caught her in the process of chewing on the glove. I have never done this before. I called 2 vets first and spoke to technicians. They agreed there was a risk as the glove material could unravel become a serious problem. My BC weighs about 35 pounds and I only got 10 ml of a new bottle of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in her (small syringe). I refilled the syringe to give her more and she was very reactive (almost like fear biting, but no contact) when I tried to give it to her. So instead I took her outside and threw a ball on the 5th run/throw she started vomiting (I was hoping the exercise would churn up the HP). Of course she ran into the house to do this (I think she felt sick and was running to her kennel). So, here I am praising her "good dog, good dog" as she vomits all over the living room floor. LOL! And yes, the glove finger was mainly intact when it came out but also 2 other pieces came up. I am so relieved.

I'm happy to hear it worked! And I think I do need to go get a bottle and a syringe in case it's ever necessary.

My previous dog ate half of a tray of brownies once, and the vet told me I could try hydrogen peroxide. It didn't work. Mostly he ran around like a nut, and then ran around for HOURS (sugar high), and the crashed and slept for like 10 hours straight. He was less than a year old, but probably not much less.

Looking at rushdoggie's comment, probably the H202 had turned to H20.

Dear Doggers,

Good work. Unless you're around the corner from a 24/7 vet it is best to prepare yourself for inducing vomiting and Hydrogen Peroxcide is in many household and all farm medicine cabinets. Ipecac or salt water work too. http://www.doctordog.com/dogbook/dogvomit.html

Donald McCaig

I has to do that once. My bc gave me the most sad look as I forced the hydrogen peroxide down his throat. We put him outsid. Then when he vomited, it was the worst sound and he ended up vomiting 4 times total. This was late at night and the neighbors came outside because they thought someone was going to die because of the horrible noises he was making. Good times. Good times.

• 2 weeks later...

One vet I called suggested the salt only if Hydrogen perioxide was not available. The second vet I called advised against it.