BC Boards

Loose Leash walking

Loose leash walking is great when you just want to walk in a relaxed fashion without having to worry about pulling. For nearly two years now I have been trying to get Juno to walk with a loose leash. I have tried a lot of methods and I have spent a lot of time trying them but I never seemed to be able to get it right. For the last 8 months or more walking has been good but there has always been a tiny bit of tension on the leash. In effect, I have been guiding her and she has been quite compliant. To the casual observer, it would appear that Juno is walking great, but from my point of view I am not relaxed so the walk isn't as pleasant as it could be.

Now over the last two weeks, things have changed for the better. It may be just maturity on Juno's part, but I suspect that it is just the fact that I have finally understood the concept behind loose leash walking (I know, I am a slow learner). The revelation came from Susan Garrett's 'Its Yer Choice' game and the book 'Teach Your Herding Breed". What I came to realize was that it is Juno that needs to pay attention and not me. So last week I started to walk Juno on a 6 foot leash with absolutely no tension. When she reached the end of the leash and started pulling I stopped, pulled her back to my side, and then started off again with her on the loose leash. It didn't take her long to realize that it was her responsibility, not mine, to keep the slack. Now a week later her loose leash walking is amazing and my walks are so much more enjoyable.

For those experienced trainers out there, I am sure you are saying this isn't Rocket Science, but the fact is that I thought I was doing it right before. When she pulled hard I woud stop and walk the other way, and when she pulled lightly (a lot of the time) I would guide her with gentle tension on the leash when she needed it. Now I realize I just had to have the confidence in Juno to give her the chance to be responsible.

cheers

Bill