BC Boards

Two Problems

I'd say you really need to keep working on her general obedience training a lot, and also you need to stop her BEFORE she gets too excited. If necessary, put her up in her crate, or in the laundry or somewhere, wait till she calms down some, get her out and do a little bit of training with her, and then see if she'll play calmly.

I again wanted to say thank you to everyone here for their advice and help. I also wanted to give an update over the past few days since we have originally posted.

We tried the yelp like a puppy and that made her go nuts and do it more so we have scratched that one. We tried the ignore her when she comes for attention and only give it to her when we allow it and after making her sit which to me has helped some. We also tried the low growl of "UH HUH" which she responds to well. Anytime I see her act up I do it and she immediately stops.

All in all I think things are getting better and we are going to have a great long relationship with her.

I am still interested in getting her into agility (when she gets older) and would like some advice on books or websites with good info on training her to do these things. I have never done any kind of obstacle course, frisbee, etc training before so I am kind of dumb when it comes to it and I want to make sure then when we do start I know what I am doing and not going about it wrong. So if anyone as any advice on this it would help get me prepapred for it.

Originally posted by Barb Scott:

BeesSK writes:

And the jumps were setup but they just laid the bars on the ground so the puppy would have to step over them (helps to make them realize they have back legs).

Seems like I read an article in CleanRun by an awesome agility trainer that said this would only encourage bar knocking later on. She recommended jumping a young dog at elbow height (when it was ready to jump) and then quickly moving it up. I gave all my back issues of Clean Run away so I can't give the exact issue.

Barb S

Maybe, we're in a beginner agility class now (rather than the puppy one) and she doesn't knock the bar down anymore than any other dog.

I guess I'm just lucky - Maggie *knock on wood* very rarely knocks bars; I think it's been at least 4 or 6 months since she knocked one in practice and only once in the past 4 years has she knocked a bar in competition! :rolleyes: She is very accurate in general - I just wish she could pick the speed up at the same time lol.

I guess I'm just lucky - Maggie *knock on wood* very rarely knocks bars; I think it's been at least 4 or 6 months since she knocked one in practice and only once in the past 4 years has she knocked a bar in competition! She is very accurate in general - I just wish she could pick the speed up at the same time lol

Well, speed isn't everything! Brandy has all kinds of speed; unfortunately, she thinks she can launch from 15 feet and still get over a jump.

Barb S

I like Jane Simmons-Moake's books.

All of them, and there are quite a few!

She also does the "unleashing the velcro dog" artical in Clean Run, which I find very helpful (not that Dazzle is AT ALL velcro-y! But it gives good ideas for distance practice stuff)

Dazzle (thank goodness) doesn't like hitting the bars, one time she knocked a bar and then turned around, picked it up and brought it to me. Then she gave me the "please put it back Mommy" look. It was pretty funny! She hasn't really knocked a bar after that! I am so happy! :rolleyes:

For a 3 month puppy- work on games with her, and teach her lots of tricks- make the sessions short and positive. You can do retrieve (itty bitty ones), and you CAN let her walk on a board on the ground- this will allow her to get used to walking on a different surface- also teach her a down (without sitting first) and the jumps- I wouldn't worry about them at that age. It is not hard to learn jumps, and she is really young at this point. Things like "come" "down", "stay" all that stuff should be made into fun learning sessions. It will help so much that she learns every day- gets those neurons firing- she will be a bright girl for it, and you will have one spectacular puppy!

Julie