BC Boards

It's like magic

This past weekend, we out of town and Livi stayed with the family of our teenaged babysitter. Said babysitter adores Livi... in fact, when I asked what her rate would be to dog-sit she said, "Oh, I don't even care, I'm just so excited about having a puppy for the weekend!" They live on a few acres outside of town with a couple of dogs of their own, so we took Livi over to meet their dogs first and make sure everyone got along. They did, and everything else seemed great too.

As it turns out, I think it might have been even better than I thought. Since we picked her up yesterday, she seems to have completely mastered the idea of just relaxing in the house when it's not time to play. Previously she would wander around and get into things constantly until I crated her or tethered her. Sometimes she'd settle down on her own for a while, in which case I quietly encouraged and rewarded her. But it wasn't a regular thing by any stretch of the imagination. But today while we've been doing schoolwork, she's just sprawled out on the floor nearby with a toy or two to chew on. I've had to rescue the occasional sock or stuffed animal, but she hasn't been enough of a distraction that I've had to crate her. Right now she's sleeping on the floor behind me surrounded by chew toys. I'm wondering if spending time with the other two dogs who are older and know how to settle in the house made a difference. Whatever the case, I'm thinking the babysitter earned a serious bonus. :P

I had a surprise like that when I left Juno with my mum for a week last year. Previous to this I had always taken Juno for a walk before bedtime to make sure she was okay for the night in her crate. My mum, not wanting to go for a walk at this time, just took Juno out to the end of the driveway to do her business. When I got back from my trip and went to take Juno for her before bed walk, she just went to the end of my driveway, did her business and then asked to go back inside. Since that time I have never had to go for a late night walk. This week, with the temperatures below minus 20 I have been very thankful!

Bill

Right now she's sleeping on the floor behind me surrounded by chew toys. I'm wondering if spending time with the other two dogs who are older and know how to settle in the house made a difference. Whatever the case, I'm thinking the babysitter earned a serious bonus. :P

I'd bet that's just what she did! :) My older dogs have always been invaluable in teaching a pup how to hang out and just chill. What an awesome babysitter!

~ Gloria

I'm wondering if spending time with the other two dogs who are older and know how to settle in the house made a difference. Whatever the case, I'm thinking the babysitter earned a serious bonus. :P

We just had a 10 month old foster who had always lived outside on a chain, never been in a house and he followed the lead of our dog on everything, you could see him watching R and then doing what he did. This included chilling and relaxing as well as playing with toys and basic house manners.

I'm pleased to say that the changed behavior is sticking. My husband is not really a dog person so we currently have a one-dog limit, but I'd suggested previously that I'd like to consider getting our next puppy before Livi gets too old so we can be sure she'll be around to be a role model. He said he'd think about it when we get there. After seeing Livi's improved behavior the last couple of days, he's now told me that yes, we will absolutely get our next puppy while Livi is still around. :lol: It's really been lovely being able to let her just chill with us. And I won't feel bad at all leaving her in the future -- she obviously had a great time and came back the better for it.